Sally & Wally (ADFFS)

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
wmd

Sally & Wally (ADFFS)

Post by wmd »

Tested on real hardware - A3020 (4MB, RISC OS 3.11, ZIDEFS) using ADFFS v2.82.

Several issues with this one -

1. Won't run unless disk is write-enabled.
2. When using the return to desktop option within the game, if you Eject disk or select Exit option for the game the machine freezes.
3. Screen is stretched vertically and is positioned too far right horizontally:

For info, I am playing this on a 15Khz CRT monitor.
JonAbbott

Re: Sally & Wally (ADFFS)

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:03 pm 1. Won't run unless disk is write-enabled.
Correct. If not HD installed, the game requires the floppy to be write-enabled to save the high-score.
wmd wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:03 pm 2. When using the return to desktop option within the game, if you Eject disk or select Exit option for the game the machine freezes.
How did you run it and is this an ADF, JFD, APD or HD install? I believe you can just copy the game to HD and run it directly...see what the manual says about HD installing.
wmd wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:03 pm 3. Screen is stretched vertically and is positioned too far right horizontally:
LCDGameModes should not be doing anything on a 15KHz monitor, but just to rule it out edit !ADFFS.!Boot and comment out the relevant line.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Installing onto the HD has fixed the crashing on exit issues. However, I commented out the LCDGameModes line in the !Boot file and the screen is still the same.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:05 am I commented out the LCDGameModes line in the !Boot file and the screen is still the same.
And it looks different without ADFFS loaded?
wmd

Post by wmd »

The floppy won't run unless it is write-enabled, which I am reluctant to do having seen how Tactic previously wiped my CMOS.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

You should be able to run it from HD with the original floppy in, without ADFFS loaded.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I've been dumping disks out of the loft today and my floppy drive has stopped reading disks (presumably dirt on the heads), so I can't test it yet.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:33 pm I've been dumping disks out of the loft
Make sure you check the disc surfaces thoroughly for mould before using them, once that gets into your drive its a royal pain having to strip it down to clean the drive out.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I've ordered a drive cleaning diskette and also a diskette clamp / frame to clean the actual disks. I'm also thinking the drive might have actually died though. When I put a disk in I just hear a single click, like it doesn't even attempt to read the disk, with a "disk not formatted" message rather than disk errors. On the other hand, I notice that the drive makes the normal familiar noises when I eject an ADFFS disk image, so maybe there is still some hope! This is a major pain as I still have some disks I wanted to dump, including some games that are not obtainable online.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:04 am I notice that the drive makes the normal familiar noises when I eject an ADFFS disk image, so maybe there is still some hope!
ADFFS takes over ADFS::0 when a floppy image is mounted, so ensure you Eject via the Filer Menu when you need to use the physical drive.