Calling Jon Abbott

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
castlevarich

Calling Jon Abbott

Post by castlevarich »

Dear MrAbbott

I am a former adult lecturer, who also did some technical support for a couple of schools that were still using
RISC OS around 2008.

I managed to get hold of the StrongARM updates for ALL the educational software that Sherston produced,
which they released StrongARM versions of, so you can use it to update nearly all of the Sherston software
from 1995 Archimedes vintage to 1997 StrongARM.

There were a few old titles that they didn't update, but it has the updates for 40-50 of them.

If you will send me your direct email address to castlevarich <AT> yahoo <DOT> co <DOT> uk

I will send you a copy, because it would be impossible to get one from Sherston now, as the company
has changed hands.

Did you ever do anything with Sherston's Crystal Rain Forest?

Regards

Jon
JonAbbott

Re: Calling Jon Abbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Thanks for reaching out.
castlevarich wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:47 pm I managed to get hold of the StrongARM updates for ALL the educational software that Sherston produced,
which they released StrongARM versions of, so you can use it to update nearly all of the Sherston software
from 1995 Archimedes vintage to 1997 StrongARM.
I don't really get involved with Educational software as its a legal nightmare, perhaps post them on the stardot archive thread so they're available for the community? Ask a site admin first though.

I'm not sure there's much of a demand for StrongARM patches these days, what with emulation being available. They're possibly only required on physical RiscPC as emulators don't implement the StrongARM cache - which is the main source of compatibility issues.
castlevarich wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:47 pm Did you ever do anything with Sherston's Crystal Rain Forest?
I imaged the floppies many years ago, but only to confirm ADFFS could handle the fuzzy-bits protection.

Although I do have an original copy of Crystal Rain Forest, I've not archived it due to the fact I could never release it without permission from the rights holders.
castlevarich

Re: Calling Jon Abbott

Post by castlevarich »

Dear Mr Abbott

Sherston has been taken over by another company, that only seems interested in stopping people
selling old copies of Sherston's software.

However, the original programming was done in India, and I seem to remember reading that the
copyright will eventually revert to the programmers, after a period of time, if we could ever find them.

Regards, Jon