Pinebook Pro

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
JonAbbott

Re: Pinebook Pro

Post by JonAbbott »

Try running the attached and see if it hard-locks the system. It does everything except start the GraphicsV driver, so will quickly confirm or rule that out as the cause of the issue.
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

Ok so I've replaced ADFFS550 in Version 2.83 with the ADFFStest module and that now works loads better, thanks. It loads to the icon bar without issue and is fully stable in operation. I can open / mount ADF and JFD files no problem at all and copy files in and out of the ADFs etc.

The only slight snag now is it won't play with Aemulor. I have some old progs which need keydiscs which I made as JFDs a long time ago (floppy disc 1) The main prog being installed on the Hard Disc. I mount the key discs so they've been seen using ADFFS and then run Aemulor to run the progs. With V2.83 loaded utilising the modified ADFFS550 module, Aemulor crashes with ' internal abort on data transfer at &20428438' (I've tried the latest V2.55 and also V2.53). However V2.09 of ADFFS will happily co-exist with Aemulor.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

acorndave wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:20 pm Ok so I've replaced ADFFS550 in Version 2.83 with the ADFFStest module and that now works loads better, thanks. It loads to the icon bar without issue and is fully stable in operation. I can open / mount ADF and JFD files no problem at all and copy files in and out of the ADFs etc.
Now could you try the attached builds in order and let me know which numbers hard-lock.
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

Ok. Basically only ADFFS550-1 is ok (same caveats as before) 2 to 5 all lock the machine up requiring a hard power off.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Please try the attached builds and let me know which ones hard-lock.

It's very likely PineVideo will require some corrections before ADFFS will run on a PineBook as it doesn't fully adhere to the GraphicsV documentation. I've not looked at its code in any detail, but did spot a fatal flaw which I reported here.

Even if the issues in the OS build are fixed, I'd still need to implement a software image scaler as the GPU doesn't support hardware scaling. Hopefully we can at least resolve the hard-lock when ADFFS loads, which I suspect is PineVideo getting into an infinite loop.
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

Broadly the same but subtle differences in the lock ups.

1 ok (as before)

2 & 3 Lock the machine. The desktop is still visible just unresponsive to keyboard or mouse. Hard power off required.

4&5 lock up the machine big style. The screen is totally blank and it appears as if the computer has been turned off (the green indicator light is off). Normally on the P-Pro you press the power button for about a sec to power on and if the machine locks up around 6 Secs to do a hard power off. With these two lockups it didn't seem to respond to either an 'on' or 'off' procedure. I found if I held the power button for maybe 12 secs and then left it for a sec or two and then did a normal power on all was well again. Bit scary though !

6 Locks the machine again to a totally blank screen. But in this case the green indicator light is still on, so a 'normal' hard power off is possible.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'll need to wait for the OS devs to correct PineVideo before proceeding any further.
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

Ok. No problem. Thanks for looking at things. Really appreciate it.