Command Ship (1995) (TBA Software)

Download games the project has approval to release
JonAbbott

Command Ship (1995) (TBA Software)

Post by JonAbbott »

Image Command Ship (1995) (TBA Software)

ID: 10088
Version: 1.01
Developer: Robin Brooks; James Green (mothership model)
Genre: Space; Arcade
RAM: 2048

CPU compatibility: ARM2 ARM250 ARM3 ARM610 ARM700 ARM710 ARM7500 StrongARM ARMv5+
OS compatibility: 3.11 3.5x 3.6x 3.7x 4.x 5.x

Legal info: Distribution rights granted to JASPP by Robin Brooks and TBA Software

Download full archive: Image (1.5mb)

Download individual floppies: Image

Game info
To run the game use "Boot floppy" from the ADFFS Filer.

Synopsis
Due to diminishing supplies of natural resources the Stellar Mining Corporation (SMC) despatch the deep space mining ship Andromeda.
Time is short and new mining fields must be established and old ones brought back on-line.
A superb mix of arcade action, logic puzzles, and top quality graphics.

Screenshots
Image Image

Gameplay
Rob_hawk

Re: Command Ship (1995) (TBA Software)

Post by Rob_hawk »

Hi Jon,

I'm quite new here so keep with me if I'm doing something wrong! A little help required…

I've downloaded a few games to try that are all working using 2.81 (non lite) and ensuring I use 'boot floppy'. However when I try to boot this game via 'boot floppy' I get an error saying there's not enough memory. I'm running a A3010/Risc OS 3.11 with 4mb RAM should this be okay?

Help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rob
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Rob_hawk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:43 pm I get an error saying there's not enough memory
I expect it means what it says. Command Ship requires 1.5MB of Free RAM, plus some loose change for Modules and 800KB for the floppy image, so you might struggle to free up enough RAM without bypassing !Boot and ensuring you don't have a RAM drive.

If you install it to HD (see the comment in !ADFFS.obey.F1008801 or !ADFFS.!Obey after a Boot Floppy for instructions), you can get back 800KB required for the floppy image.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

JonAbbott wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:37 am
Rob_hawk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:43 pm I get an error saying there's not enough memory
If you install it to HD (see the comment in !ADFFS.obey.F1008801 or !ADFFS.!Obey after a Boot Floppy for instructions), you can get back 800KB required for the floppy image.
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I have a lot to learn with Risc OS as just getting started as you can tell! I’d guessed it was a genuine memory issue but was surprised as thought it would run in a 2MB A3010 and mine has 4MB. I’ll have an experiment with the options below as would be great to see this working, I’m trying to get an idea of what my A3010 will do so picking games that are (I think at least) unique to the platform.

The work you have done here to keep these software titles usable and alive well in the future is remarkable, what an achievement.

I’ll report back when I get this one working!

Rob

PS - As an aside I see from Stardot that you are in Maldon. I’m from Chelmsford originally and remember the 31 bus! I now live in France but a small world.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

JonAbbott wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:37 am If you install it to HD (see the comment in !ADFFS.obey.F1008801 or !ADFFS.!Obey after a Boot Floppy for instructions), you can get back 800KB required for the floppy image.
A very naive question. Where do I find the !ADFFS.obey.F1008801 or !ADFFS.!obey file?

I have the ADFFS floppy mounted in the ADFFS drive which shows the icons/folders for the game. I have looked in this directory and also the ADFFS application directory with no luck. Lots to learn.

Any other hints about how to copy to the hard drive would be appreciated as I guess it’s not just a question of dragging the contents of the mounted floppy across to my HD and then clicking the game icon to run from there? I’ve noted your advice on not starting games by directly clicking on the game icon due to the risk of non bootable machine.

Help appreciated and look forward to news.

Regards

Rob
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Rob_hawk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:50 pm Where do I find the !ADFFS.obey.F1008801 or !ADFFS.!obey file?
!ADFFS is the ADFFS application folder (hold SHIFT and double-click on it to open it)
!ADFFS.obey is a ZIP file inside the !ADFFS folder (I'd suggest downloading the latest Obey.zip from the Boot script link below as I've updated a lot of the HD install notes recently)
!ADFFS.!obey is the Obey script used to run the last game launched via Boot Floppy

Most games have a Boot script that contain instructions on how to HD install them.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

JonAbbott wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:16 pm Most games have a Boot script that contain instructions on how to HD install them.
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I have updated the ADDFS obey zip file with the latest and have now replaced the !Run file inside !Command with the F1008801 file and renamed it to !Run.

When I now click on the !Command icon I get a message that says “This is not a relocatable module” so I guess I’m doing something wrong here?

EDIT - After a restart later in the day I now get an error "Screen file not found". I can see this set to 448k in the obey file so tried commenting out. At this stage when I re-try to run the game I get a message asking me to insert the original game disk 1 into the drive.

As an aside I also notice that the other games that I have downloaded that worked with the previous ADFFS obey.zip folder in place stopped working when the latest one was in place. When I reverted to the original folder all was well again. User error on my part I guess? Any help you could share would be great.

Sorry to be a pain and help greatly appreciated. Once I get to grips with this the first time I'll be fine going forward!

Regards

Rob
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Rob_hawk wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:36 am have now replaced the !Run file inside !Command with the F1008801 file and renamed it to !Run.
Did you follow the instructions at the top of F1008801?
Rob_hawk wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:36 am error "Screen file not found".
Did you load !ADFFS before running the game?
Rob_hawk wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:36 am I also notice that the other games that I have downloaded that worked with the previous ADFFS obey.zip folder in place stopped working when the latest one was in place.
Is the ZIP corrupt? After booting a game, see if it replaced !ADFFS.!Obey with the correct script for the game you booted.

Are you also running the latest !ADFFS? Check the version via the Filer help menu. Please raise a new thread in the General section to follow this up.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

Thanks - will re-check and test things as above and raise a new thread.

Regards

Rob