Nevryon

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
Idge

Nevryon

Post by Idge »

Hi all,
I have a strange problem with Nevryon using ADFFS on my A3010.
The game loads up however once you click start game it just constantly fires and you cant really click on anything or do anything else.
Any ideas what is causing it?
I also have the APDL Shoot em Up CD Version and that works fine, it only affects the disk version

Thanks
JonAbbott

Re: Nevryon

Post by JonAbbott »

It possibly thinks there's a Joystick attached. The Joystick detection does have some issues in Nevryon.

RMKill Joystick might fix it, but I suspect it has its own code for Joysticks and it's possibly the RTFM detection that thinks Fire is held.
Idge

Post by Idge »

Cheers Jon,
I have tried RMKill Joystick before the game loads but it doesn't show that module as being loaded.
I will try plugging a joystick in and seeing if that changes anything once I find it
Idge

Post by Idge »

Just revisiting this one.
When I boot using the original floppy disks on the A3010, it works fine without issue. If I use it via ADFFS and boot floppy, it seems to work fine until you get to the screen to start the game, and it then just loads the game and constantly fires, and you cannot move the ship or do anything else. The initial opening screen also does not display the scrolling graphical text either.
I took a look at the Obey file for the game in the obey file in ADFFS F1026101, and commented out the following lines underneath the section which says Bugfix: Disables the Joystick if there's any movement during loading
| KEY 0 1920]:NEXT:U%=1|MRUN|F|M
| FX 225 1
| FX 138 0 128

After doing this I also had to remove the -load after in the line BASIC -load <Obey$Dir>.Nevryon so it just said BASIC <Obey$Dir>.Nevryon

Once this was saved everything worked correctly so seems to be related to that bit of code in the Obey file, just thought I would share what seemed to work for me and whether it helps anyone else having the same issue.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:51 pm Once this was saved everything worked correctly so seems to be related to that bit of code in the Obey file
It's possible you have a slightly different version. Could you email a copy of !Nevryon.Nevryon to me please, so I can compare. An ADF or just the file should be fine.

That's one of the few scripts I didn't modify to check the file matches before trying to patch it. I'll look at modifying the script.
Idge

Post by Idge »

Cheers Jon, I have emailed that over
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 pm Cheers Jon, I have emailed that over
Thanks, I'll take a look and see what I need to change in the script to resolve the issue.
Idge

Post by Idge »

Just a bit more info, I have a few versions of Nevyron, so thought I would try another version I had and that works fine.
On the version that works fine there is a date stamp file of 08-01-1992. This runs with boot floppy without issue.
The version that does not work has no date stamp file at all.

The !Nevyron.nevyron file on both copies has the same date modified stamp of 03-08-1990, however some of the other files such as options and starter have newer date stamps.

Let me know if you want me to email the complete JFD files for both
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:45 pm Let me know if you want me to email the complete JFD files for both
I don't believe I need any more files. The issue is in the game's Joystick detection, which disables the Joystick if a button is pressed while the game is loading. That's fixed by the patch in the run script, except it then plays up if there's no RTFM Joystick.

Essentially, I need to modify the game's Joystick code to fix it properly.