Virtual Golf

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
Idge

Virtual Golf

Post by Idge »

I have two physical copies of Virtual Golf which are dated differently.

09-10-1993 - This version will not work via ADFFS. I have tried creating the recording file myself and it shows protection sectors correctly, but when you mount the image and run, it just reboots the machine looking like the protection check failing.

14-11-1994 - This version images correctly and works via ADFFS. I also used my own recording file from this disk. If I use boot floppy on this version, the graphics are all garbled (regardless of which monitor type you specify standard or VGA) If I run by double clicking the icon from the mounted image it works ok

Any ideas as to why the version from 1993 is failing? It works fine when running from the original floppy and when imaging there are no errors.

Also any ideas why the screen is getting garbled when using Boot Floppy. I try to avoid double clicking files directly and always prefer to use Boot Floppy

This is when using on my A3010 and connected to an LCD Monitor. I havent yet tried to see if it does the same on my Pi or Arculator.

Thanks
JonAbbott

Re: Virtual Golf

Post by JonAbbott »

09-10-1993 will be failing because it's missing the disk protection. That should have been captured while recording and running the game, so perhaps it's using an odd protection such as fuzzy bits or duplicate sectors - unlikely though as they used the same disk protection on all their games. Email the JFD to me and I'll take a look.

The graphics issues with 14-11-1994 are probably down to an incorrect ScreenSize setting. Does it work correctly on the Pi?
Idge

Post by Idge »

Will do Jon. I currently have no internet connection as in the process of moving house, but will send these through and do some more testing on the Pi soon
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'd wait until I make 2.80y available before resuming testing as it's hopefully going to be nearer to a final release
Idge

Post by Idge »

JonAbbott wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:49 pm 09-10-1993 will be failing because it's missing the disk protection. That should have been captured while recording and running the game, so perhaps it's using an odd protection such as fussy bits or duplicate sectors - unlikely though as they used the same disk protection on all their games. Email the JFD to me and I'll take a look.

The graphics issues with 14-11-1994 are probably down to an incorrect ScreenSize setting. Does it work correctly on the Pi?
I have emailed you both copies now Jon.
Regarding the 14-11-1994 version on the Pi, it does not load at all on the Pi using boot floppy or double clicking its icon, it gives the error
Internal Error: Abort on instruction fetch at &08003FE0

Cheers
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:57 pm I have emailed you both copies now Jon.
Thanks and sorry for not picking up on it sooner. I'm hoping to start looking at them next week with the aim of fixing for the next ADFFS update.

I'm way behind on project email, so apologies for the lack of responses. Going to attempt to catch up on my email on Sunday and reply where possible.