ADFFS 2.80 public beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Idge

Re: ADFFS 2.80 public beta

Post by Idge »

I have also tested The Last Ninja on my pi 3b+ tonight with the latest beta.
The game loads to the menu and plays music.
Once you click start game it then loads to another screen showing the graphics to the right and bottom but freezes and doesn’t start the game.
I tested on the older version of ADFFS and the game starts fine. It seems to be freezing on the beta version before displaying the LEVEL 1 graphic.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:57 pm I have also tested The Last Ninja on my pi 3b+ tonight with the latest beta.
Once you click start game it then loads to another screen showing the graphics to the right and bottom but freezes.
It looks like a null dereference bug in the game code which I've not previously spotted. It should have been reported, so I'll check both my code and figure a fix for the game itself.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Page Zero change has broken the JIT on IOMD, which I'm working on fixing.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.80s in the OP, which fixes a potential loop in the JIT shutdown when reporting an Abort.
JonAbbott wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:35 am
Idge wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:57 pm I have also tested The Last Ninja on my pi 3b+ tonight with the latest beta.
Once you click start game it then loads to another screen showing the graphics to the right and bottom but freezes.
It looks like a null dereference bug in the game code which I've not previously spotted. It should have been reported, so I'll check both my code and figure a fix for the game itself.
If you update ADFFSbeta and The Last Ninja via PackMan, both issues should be resolved.
Idge

Post by Idge »

Hi Jon,
I have been testing some games on the pi on the 2.80r version and see my notes below for games I seem to have issues with

3D Construction Kit
Gives an error when clicking test and shooting for a bit. Gives a garbled error message box. Clicking the button in the message box returns to desktop
I also get the same issue in ADFFS 2.73

Abuse
Game works fine, but when you select quit from the icon in system tray it seems to freeze the pi.
Same issue on on adfss 2.73 but this gives an error ADFFS Exception: ADFFS5005 IRQ occured in a codelet, but couldn't find codelet base

Air Supremacy
Get error -2147483646:1240 - Internal Error: Abort on Data transfer at &01E0046C. Press Space or click mouse to continue. Have to then hard reset the pi
Get same issue on ADFFS 2.73

Aldebaran
Game works fine, but if you click around the options in the icon on the system tray it locks up the pi.
Cntrl-Shift-F12 also freezes the pi from the game
Get same issues in ADFFS 2.73

Alerion
Get Error IRQv:E9EFDFF6
ADFFS Exception: ADFF5016 Modifying hardware vectors
On ADFFS 2.73 just get a garbled error message and game doesnt load

Arc-A3000-Christmas-Box
All games give a garbled error message box
Works on ADFFS 2.73, but PonWinter will not load stating it needs original disk in drive 0

Arcade-3
Get error stating Application may have gone wrong. Click continue to try to resume or quit to stop application
Works in ADFFS 2.73 with the exception of CNTRL-SHIFT-F12 freezing the pi

Arcade Soccer
Gives Garbled error message which is hard to read, however I think it says Application may have gone wrong
Works on ADFFS 2.73

Arcendium
Get Application may have gone wrong. Click continue to try to resume or quit to stop application
Internal Error: Abort on Data Transfer at &010F41C8
Works in ADFFS 2.73

ArcPinball
Get a Please Wait, loading screen that does not progress
Works on ADFFS 2.73

Arcturus
Application may have gone wrong. Click continue to try to resume or quit to stop application.
Internal Error: abort on data transfer at &01109370
Works in ADFFS 2.73

Asylum
Get garbled error message box, which is an Application may have gone wrong message, Cannot read the error code

Birds Of War
Game works fine, but when you exit the game by clicking Exit it freezes the pi

Boogie Buggy
Get an Error IRQv: E9EFDFF6
ADFFS Exception: ADFFS5016 Modifying hardware vectors.
I have a screenshot of the complete error if required for this
Works in ADFFS 2.73

Exotic Adventures of Sylvia Lane
Fails with attempt to use badly nested error handler (or corrupt R13)
Also fails on ADFFS 2.73

I will continue to keep testing and will update to the latest beta as well
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm I will continue to keep testing and will update to the latest beta as well
Hold fire on further testing until I've investigated some of the ones you've reported above and resolved some of the issues. The bulk of them will be down to the Page Zero change and the ADFF5016 aborts are very likely to be bugs in the game itself that need patching.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Abuse
Game works fine, but when you select quit from the icon in system tray it seems to freeze the pi.
Same issue on on adfss 2.73 but this gives an error ADFFS Exception: ADFFS5005 IRQ occured in a codelet, but couldn't find codelet base

Aldebaran
Game works fine, but if you click around the options in the icon on the system tray it locks up the pi.
Cntrl-Shift-F12 also freezes the pi from the game
Get same issues in ADFFS 2.73
These are both WIMP tasks, so this behaviour is expected. The OS doesn't allow ADFFS to switch the task in, so although it tries it's best to shut the task down whilst it's paged out - it doesn't always work and causes system locks etc.
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Air Supremacy
Get error -2147483646:1240 - Internal Error: Abort on Data transfer at &01E0046C. Press Space or click mouse to continue. Have to then hard reset the pi
Get same issue on ADFFS 2.73
I do not see this issue, could you confirm when you get the abort please.
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Alerion
Get Error IRQv:E9EFDFF6
On ADFFS 2.73 just get a garbled error message and game doesnt load
The game is intentionally messing with the hardware vectors. I'll update the package soon, in the meantime could you confirm that adding the following to its !Run gets it working:

Code: Select all

JITMEMORYA P 26B24 E3A01000 EA000003
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Arc-A3000-Christmas-Box
All games give a garbled error message box
Works on ADFFS 2.73, but PonWinter will not load stating it needs original disk in drive 0
!ZapWierdos works for me, !PonWinter reports a disc protection failure - which I'll investigate, and !Brixx reports an Abort - which I'll investigate, but its in the disc protection code so may be related to the !PonWinter issue

EDIT: It's a problem in the !Run / Boot script. I'll fix the packages soon.
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Arcade-3
Get error stating Application may have gone wrong. Click continue to try to resume or quit to stop application
Works in ADFFS 2.73 with the exception of CNTRL-SHIFT-F12 freezing the pi
I couldn't reproduce the issue with 2.80s - do all three games fail, or do you not get that far?
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Arcade Soccer
Gives Garbled error message which is hard to read, however I think it says Application may have gone wrong
Works on ADFFS 2.73

Arcendium
Get Application may have gone wrong. Click continue to try to resume or quit to stop application
Internal Error: Abort on Data Transfer at &010F41C8
Works in ADFFS 2.73
I couldn't reproduce either of these, so please see if they also occur with 2.80s. I presume the games do not load at all?
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm ArcPinball
Get a Please Wait, loading screen that does not progress
Works on ADFFS 2.73
The game does take a while to load as it runs a large EXEC file. It will sit with an hourglass for a while, then the music will start and it will eventually load. Did you get to the music?
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Arcturus
Application may have gone wrong. Click continue to try to resume or quit to stop application.
Internal Error: abort on data transfer at &01109370
Works in ADFFS 2.73
I couldn't reproduce this, please try 2.80s.
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Asylum
Get garbled error message box, which is an Application may have gone wrong message, Cannot read the error code
Which version did you use? Asylum or Asylum-[Acorn-Arcade], I could not reproduce the issue on either version so please retry both under 2.80s
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Birds Of War
Game works fine, but when you exit the game by clicking Exit it freezes the pi
I'm seeing the same issue, so will investigate

EDIT: It's a bug in the paravirtualised OS_ReadSysInfo. Fixed in the next ADFFS build
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Boogie Buggy
Get an Error IRQv: E9EFDFF6
ADFFS Exception: ADFFS5016 Modifying hardware vectors.
Works in ADFFS 2.73
The game intentionally replaces the Address exception hardware vector. This will be corrected in the next ADFFS build, in the meantime see if the issue is fixed by adding the following to the top of its !Run:

Code: Select all

JITMEMORYA 800C E5801000 E1A00000
Note the game does have a bug that causes it to crash when switching to disc 2, but I've not managed to track it down yet
Idge wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:45 pm Exotic Adventures of Sylvia Lane
Fails with attempt to use badly nested error handler (or corrupt R13)
Also fails on ADFFS 2.73
I see the same issue, so will investigate

EDIT: This is a bug in the Page Zero abort handler, it will be fixed in the next build
Idge

Post by Idge »

Sure no probs, I’ll update to latest beta tonight and report any findings / requests you have asked.
Cheers
Idge

Post by Idge »

Hi Jon,
2.80s seems to be a lot better for me. See notes below

Air Supremacy
Now works without issue on 2.80s

Alerion
Adding JITMEMORYA P 26B24 E3A01000 EA000003 to the run file now allows game to run fine

Arc-A3000-Christmas-Box
I now get the same as you. Zapweirdos runs, Brixx does not run and PonWinter gives me a disk protection error

Arcade-3
All 3 games now run fine. Previously I couldn't even get to the menu

Arcade Soccer
Now works. Previously it loaded the loading picture, and then crashed

Arcendium
Now works. Previously didn't even load the menu to select the games

ArcPinball
Now works. Previously it just hung on the Please wait loading screen before the hourglass appeared.

Arcturus
Gets further now and loads the game, but when you click start game and press enter on the enter password screen, it begins loading the graphics for the game, then crashes and gives the error
OS_CallEvery @ 0008A2CC R12=00000000
IRQv: E9EFDFF6
ADFFS Exception: ADFF5016 Modifying Hardware Vectors

Asylum
Now works. As does the Acorn Arcade version, however both versions lockup when using Cntrl-Shift-F12

Boogie Buggy
Works now when adding in JITMEMORYA 800C E5801000 E1A00000 to the run file.
I can confirm I also get the freeze when asking for disk 2 after completing level 1.

Cheers
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:50 pm Arcturus
Gets further now and loads the game, but when you click start game and press enter on the enter password screen, it begins loading the graphics for the game, then crashes and gives the error
OS_CallEvery @ 0008A2CC R12=00000000
ADFFS Exception: ADFF5016 Modifying Hardware Vectors
This is USBJoystick suffering a Null dereference issue when the SVC stack is in Appspace, its a known issue with C based Modules so I'll have a chat with Richard Walker about how best to fix it.
Idge wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:50 pm Asylum
Now works. As does the Acorn Arcade version, however both versions lockup when using Ctrl-Shift-F12
I see the same issue, so will investigate.

EDIT: It's a bug in two of the sound Modules. I'll fix the packages soon.
Idge

Post by Idge »

Just a couple more I have tested tonight with notes below

Black Angel
Get Application may have gone wrong. Click Continue to resume or quit to stop application.
Hitting describe shows Internal error: Abort on Data transfer at &20318520

Blaston [UCS]
Gives error
ADFFS Exception: ADFF5009 Instruction not implemented.
Only seems to affect the UCS version, the standard Blaston works without issue

Bloodsport
Gives error

BotKiller [32 Bit]
Game works fine, but ctrl-shift-f12 does nothing, can quit from game normally

Bubblefair
Game seems to work fine, but I can't work out how to insert coin so I can play the game. I am sure I have tried every key!