ADFFS 2.71 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
!FOZ!

Re: ADFFS 2.71 beta

Post by !FOZ! »

Hi Jon,

I saw you asking for testing support over in stardot. I recently got back into retro and happy to support where I can. I’ve got a Pi400 and A3000 with RISC OS 3.11. I have been using your tool to image with pretty good success - a few isssues relating to drop downs being blank and some crashes during compression (after a few successful images). I did update my my machine to Uniboot and that has fixed the drop down issue - I saw a post elsewhere about this being a c module issue.

I have a software background (mainly BBC 6502 in respect to the retro scene) and of course like most getting back into the scene getting pulled down the rabbit hole more and more! :-) Both software and more recently hardware side of things too. I don’t have PM’s enabled, but let me know if you want some help.

Meanwhile - thanks for this amazing tool. Side note, I have a boxed copy of Ballerena my very first game! And thought all hope was lost when I tried to run it it corrupted the CMOS - after imaging it and running such old games under your tool - things are much safer!

Thanks again!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

If you're imaging floppies, please try the ADFFS 2.80 public beta as I spent some time reducing the memory footprint and removing the reliance on SparkFS. The crash during compression is where ZLib couldn't allocate working memory - which annoying isn't something I can prevent as you can't ask it to pre-allocate space before the imaging process starts. If I could figure out how much it needs, I could at least check free space before starting the imaging and warn its likely to fail.

The blank menus is a feature of version of WindowManager that shipped with RO3. You'll need a !Boot structure on your HD and then replace !Boot.Resources.!System.310.Modules.Wimp with the latest from System resources on the ROOL download page. I wouldn't suggest doing a full !System update from that ZIP as it might break some software.
!FOZ!

Post by !FOZ! »

Jon, all makes sense, will do an update this weekend. Thank you! :-)