ADFFS 2.58 beta

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.58 beta

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: A game that works on Pi1 but doesn't work on Pi2 is Cobalt Seed.

It shows an "undefined instruction" error with a lot of info even without the debug modules.
Update to the latest ADFFS550 Modules. I've just tested it on Pi3 and it seems to be working, although under debug there's still some Page Zero bugs that need fixing.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Now Cobalt Seed is working on my Pi3 too :)
Populous is another compatible game that needs a look: the selection screen is so blazingly fast and brief that playing is very hard even on a Pi1!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Populous is another compatible game that needs a look: the selection screen is so blazingly fast and brief that playing is very hard even on a Pi1!
CLib based games currently don't work on Pi2/3 as CLib is attempting an unnecessary stack unwind, which causes CLib to crash. I'm attempting to find both the root cause and a fix, as a stack unwind needs to work long-term for error reporting.

I've had a quick look at Populous' Title code and it doesn't appear to have any speed regulation in the main loop. Once I've sorted out the Clib Pi2/3 issue, I'll figure out where a delay needs adding.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:CLib based games currently don't work on Pi2/3 as CLib is attempting an unnecessary stack unwind, which causes CLib to crash. I'm attempting to find both the root cause and a fix, as a stack unwind needs to work long-term for error reporting.
I haven't found the root cause, although know the unwind is being cause by unhandled events being raised. I've implemented language descriptor event handler entry points, which return to CLib indicating the event has been handled.

Updated Modules on the dev site, which get some of the CLib based games working on Pi2/3:

Working:
  • Alone In the Dark (spinning logo too fast in title sequence)
  • Battle Chess
  • Burn 'Out (running too fast)
  • Dune II - Battle for Arrakis
  • Gribbly's Day Out
  • Populous (Title needs slowing down before it can be tested properly, but appears to work)
  • Quest For Gold
Not working:
  • Command Ship (hangs during loading)
  • Fish! (crashes after title page)
  • Inferno (stuck on loading screen - regression as Pi1 has the same problem)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated Modules and obey.zip on the dev site, which hopefully get Kaptain Konflict working. RO5 is doing some odd things with the System Sprite Dynamic Area, which was causing the game's sprites to fail to be displayed. I think I've worked around it, but as I still don't know the root cause of RO5's behaviour, I can't be certain.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated obey.zip on the dev site, which corrects the time delay on the Populous title screen.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Kaptain Konflict needs the fix for F10 being always registered as UP when redefining the keys.
Other than that, it seems to work.
Populous is now easily playable too! :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Kaptain Konflict needs the fix for F10 being always registered as UP when redefining the keys.
Thought I'd fixed that, anyhow I've now added a key debounce to it. Whilst testing, I spotted a bug in the ADFFS key debounce SWI, which I've now fixed.

Updated obey.zip, Modules and the floppy image of Quazer on the dev site, which is hopefully working okay.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Kaptain Konflict key config works perfectly now.
Also, Quazer plays very nicely on the Pi!

We need joystick support somehow...! :D
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated obey.zip, Modules and floppy image of ArcPinball on the dev site.

To get ArcPinball working, I've had to change the way the JIT starts up. There's a slim possibility it could affect some games as it no longer changes MODE or the size of DA2 when the JIT is started. Provided the boot script sets ScreenSize and the game subsequently changes MODE; the game sizes DA2 itself and changes MODE, or the boot script has an ADFRemapVideoMemory, everything should still work.