ADFFS 2.84 public beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.84 public beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Ah, yes, this strange palette thing started with 2.84 BETA, so the VIDC1 and GraphicsV palette gamma correction makes perfect sense.
Hmm.. Maybe it could be possible to disable that optionally? Games looked way better before. And from what you say, they needed manual adjustment on the Arc... Just an idea!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:35 pm I've noticed Diggers isn't being scaled to fill the screen with the Overlay build, which I'm look into.
This is turning into a can of worms.

The problem, which on the face of it doesn't sound that complicated, is actually not as straightforward as it sounds. The problem is how the VIDC20 GraphicsV driver determines when it should take over from the physical GraphicsV driver. At the point it takes over, it has to note the current screen resolution and buffer address, request the overlay mask colour and then fill the physical screen with that overlay mask.

What's causing the issue with games that use Service_ModeExtension is it's bouncing between VIDC20/GPU GraphicsV drivers which causes ADFFS to get confused about where the GPU screen buffer is and its size. The root of that issue is GraphicsV drivers don't track logical addresses, so although its possible to request the physical address of the screen buffer, that can't be translated into a logical address. It's also not possible to request the current mode details, although I can work around that by tracking all mode changes being passed to the GPU.

Long story short, I need to come up with a reliable way to capture the logical address and size of the screen buffer/resolution once, when the VIDC20 GraphicsV driver takes over.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Update build in the OP.
JonAbbott wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:35 pm I've noticed Diggers isn't being scaled to fill the screen with the Overlay build, which I'm look into.
Hopefully fixed in this build. Sensible Soccer was another that wasn't being scaled.
Vanfanel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:21 am some games like Lemmings and Flashback have somewhat strange colors/palettes: specially noticeable on fade-to-black transitions, and in Lemmings ground tiles which look too red-ish.
Should be fixed in this build.
Vanfanel wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:15 pm Also, the aspect ratio thing with CTRL+SHIFT+5 / 8 is fantastic for Alone in the Dark! Is there a way to get that done on launch? Something I can add on the game script or similar.
I've noted which games are now auto-corrected here. There's a few I can't correct without modifying the game code and two require package updates - which I'll sort out in due course.

It only works with the overlay builds.