Technodream RPC?

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
segasonic

Technodream RPC?

Post by segasonic »

Hi! Thank you for your hard work on this collection. I've recently restored and upgraded an A3010 that has been in the attic for years. I've loved setting up ADFFS and trying out the games.

Anyway, I acquired an original copy of Technodream but disappointingly (for me at least) it won't work on my A3010.
The packaging looks the same as the 1993 release but rather than three SD floppies it comes on two HD floppies marked '1998 ProAction & Superior Software'. If I try to run either of the apps (!Techdream and !Instruct I think) on the disk I get an error saying it's for RISC PC only. Nothing on the packaging or in the manual identify it as an RPC only version. The manual appears to be the 1993 one, no mention of ProAction but no reference to a third disk either.

I was hoping that I'd be able to image it with ADFFS and the boot script might make it run, but only the 1993 three disk version is listed.

Jon, if you're interested in this one for your project I'm planning to get a Greaseweazle in the near future and will be happy to provide disk images to you. I don't have a scanner but I don't think the case inlay/manual are updated in any way from the 1993 version. I'm unsure if the disks are protected, I might just be able to make ADFs.
segasonic

Re: Technodream RPC?

Post by segasonic »

I've imaged them to ADF, no protection blocks or errors were picked up.

Disk 1 contains !Install, !Instruct and !Techdream. !Install complains about a missing hard drive and !Techdream says it can only run on a RISC PC or A7000.

Disk 2 contains two directories which appear to be the contents of the original release's disks 2 and 3.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

What you have sounds like someone has copied the ProAction CD release of Technodream to floppy and palmed it off as an original:
F10413 Nevryon and Technodream Uncovered (2000) (ProAction)

As far as I know, Technodream was never released for SA/RPC outside of the ProAction CD release and certainly not on floppy.

Where did you purchase it from?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if it is this version, there's a line in !Run that needs changing:

Code: Select all

Set Techno$RiscPC On
If you change that to "Off" it might run - I've not tried it myself though.
segasonic

Post by segasonic »

Thanks for the info! I got it from 4D/CJE so assumed it would be legit. The disk labels don't make it look like a knock off but anyone could print them I guess.
I tried the disk images on RPCEmu and the game runs, the installer didn't work properly though. It asks for Disk 2 then doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if that's an emulator issue. The game asks you to select your monitor type when you run, which I think is in common with the CD version so it sounds like you're right about its origin.

I'll try editing the run file later, thank you! Still happy to send you the disk images if you want to have a nosey at the contents. At least I have a box and manual if I ever come across a set of loose disks.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

segasonic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:46 pm I got it from 4D/CJE so assumed it would be legit.
Its legit, just not an official release from either The Fourth Dimension or ProAction. It sounds like CJE probably have some game boxes/manuals and are now selling them individually.
segasonic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:46 pm I tried the disk images on RPCEmu and the game runs, the installer didn't work properly though.
If they've split the CD onto two floppies, you probably just need to copy the files to HD.
segasonic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:46 pm Still happy to send you the disk images if you want to have a nosey at the contents.
Yes, please email the ADF's to me and I'll add them to the archive list.
segasonic

Post by segasonic »

I got it working by following your advice. In the run script there's an RMEnsure for UtilityModule 3.5 that triggers the 'Risc PC or A7000 only' message. Comment that line out and it runs, but you get a black screen after the intro because it never asks for the other disk.

The installer doesn't work because it assumes ADFS::4 and I have ZIDEFS so I could probably fix that, but I just looked for what it copied where and did it manually and all seems well.

What a strange and half-arsed release :lol: But I have an original and I can play it so I'm happy. Thanks for the help!

Did you receive the images? They might have gone to junk with me being a stranger sending unsolicited attachments.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

segasonic wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:18 am Did you receive the images?
I've added a suitable script (F1071601) with HD install instructions to the latest obey.zip
segasonic

Post by segasonic »

JonAbbott wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:36 pm
segasonic wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:18 am Did you receive the images?
I've added a suitable script (F1071601) with HD install instructions to the latest obey.zip
Great news, thanks again!
segasonic

Post by segasonic »

Works like a charm on my A3010, I'm glad you've bypassed the monitor select popup :D