Wolfenstein 3D (Original) Abort on Data Transfer

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
Idge

Re: Wolfenstein 3D (Original) Abort on Data Transfer

Post by Idge »

Thanks Jon,

The good news is the game now runs with the latest change to the script if I shift boot.

Normal boot
Game now boots up and does not show the same disk swap, it goes straight to the wolfenstein backdrop and then menu, when starting a level now I get the get psyched screen and then it asks for Game Disk 1. I swap disks and then press space and get a lockup.
I tried adding RMAFree 4 as well as RMAFree 256 but no difference

Shift boot
Game boots and does normal disk swaps, I then load a level and it shows get psyched screen, I do the disk swap and game runs as long as I use Boot Floppy

Install
Game boots and runs without issue now with new script

Cheers for sorting
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:18 pm Normal boot
Game now boots up and does not show the same disk swap, it goes straight to the wolfenstein backdrop and then menu
If the game detects it's running from floppy, it asks for all three discs during loading - for no particular reason other than to make sure you have them, or to make RISC OS aware of them. I did contemplate removing it as its a pointless step, but the script currently has a check on the value of Wolf$Dir to only skip it for HD installs to avoid the check for disk 1...it exits after disk 1 is found when run from HD.
It's possible the check in the script failed. You could try commenting out the line to see if you get the disk prompts back.
Idge wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:18 pm when starting a level now I get the get psyched screen and then it asks for Game Disk 1. I swap disks and then press space and get a lockup.
I meant to add *ADFReserveMemory 820 to the top of the script to help avoid the game locking after floppy swaps, but forgot. I also haven't checked how it determines the memory size and allocates its stack, which is the underlying issue causing the locks.

Finally, given how the loader is coded to grab all available memory, I need to check if the game core has an UpCall handler to prevent Appspace being reduced and if it repeats the same code that's in the loader to re-grab all available memory.
Idge

Post by Idge »

JonAbbott wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 am I meant to add *ADFReserveMemory 820 to the top of the script to help avoid the game locking after floppy swaps, but forgot. I also haven't checked how it determines the memory size and allocates its stack, which is the underlying issue causing the locks.
That did the trick! I added that in to the top of the script and it now boots and runs without any lockups

Many Thanks