ADFFS 2.83

Floppy Disc Controller emulator and virtual IOC/IOMD/ARM JIT for modern RISC OS machines
wmd

Re: ADFFS 2.83

Post by wmd »

Do you happen to know if high score saving would therefore work for these re-releases when installed to HD (for those games that originally support it)? Basically, all the original Eterna JFDs don't support this, so for someone who wants the ability to save their scores (the main premise for actually wanting to play these titles), they would presumably need the Uffenkamp versions.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:30 pm Do you happen to know if high score saving would therefore work for these re-releases
The UCS versions aren't fundamentally different to the Eterna originals, the only real difference is with the disc protection.

EDIT: The following games save the Highscore: Rockfall, KerBang!, Bubble Fair, Poizone and Legends of the Lost Temple.
I do not believe Ballarena, Blaston, Cartoon Line part one, Fine Racer or Tactic retain the Highscores - but I've not looked at the code yet to double-check.
wmd

Post by wmd »

OK, thanks for the info. As a side point, this seems to be a general issue when saving scores back to protected disks. As a solution, might it be possible to instead save that data to the directory the JFD is located in, and have ADFFS (possibly as part of the obey file) reload that file when the game is initially loaded? I think, at least for those games that had high score saving, this feature is quite important, as otherwise the games feel like they are missing important functionality.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:18 pm this seems to be a general issue when saving scores back to protected disks.
Official JFD floppy images update when a game saves to them. If you've imaged your own floppies, ensure you image with Write protect unticked and Auto flush ticked, if the game writes to it.

Auto flush will re-write the JFD when it's ejected, if it changed. If unticked you have to manually Flush the floppy.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Unfortunately that functionality doesn't seem to work reliably. I tried it on Provocator and it didn't work.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

wmd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:32 pm Unfortunately that functionality doesn't seem to work reliably. I tried it on Provocator and it didn't work.
The key point is the floppy has to be ejected before the JFD is written back. Obviously some games don't let you quit, so it's impossible to manually eject the floppy. In that scenario you might be able to force an eject by attempting to swap to a non-existent floppy via CTRL-SHIFT-F9 - I can't say I've tried it though and it might well crash the game.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Question about Spobbleoid Fantasy - how can I tell if I have the StrongARM version?
wmd

Post by wmd »

Found the answer to this one - on disc 1 of the non-StrongARM release the install application is called !Install, whereas the StrongARM disc 1 installer is called !InstallSF.