Problem running JASPP games on Beagleboard-XM

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Victor

Problem running JASPP games on Beagleboard-XM

Post by Victor »

Hello Everyone,

I am having problems running ADFFS with JASPP games on BeagleBoard XM under RiscOS Open 5.28 / 5.31.Beta (OMAP3)
I can't start even a single game. I tried about 50 of them already. ADDFS starts fine but when you try to run any JASPP
game the machine hangs completely with the black screen.
Only power off/on returns it back to life, not even CTRL^ Break. My monitor is a real professional multisync one.
It supports all low res modes and the MDF file also has them configured right.
It is definitely not just a black / blank screen issue. ( I thought it was but now I am 100% sure it is not the monitor / MDF issue )
I know there is no good logging capabilities under RiscOS which means it is hard to even track and trace what cause the problem.
Any suggestions of how I can trace this problem are really welcome.
I can try all you might think of on the real board and post the results here.
I will appreciate it if you could come up with any help on the matter.

Thank you
Best

Victor.
Last edited by Victor on Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonAbbott

Re: Problem running JASPP games on Beagleboard-XM

Post by JonAbbott »

It sounds like a GraphicsV issue. See what the following does with ADFFS loaded:

Code: Select all

Drop to the Supervisor (press F12)
BASIC
MODE 13
Does it hard lock, or can you see the cursor and continue typing? If you then *QUIT can you get back to the desktop?
Victor

Post by Victor »

Hi Jon,

When starting ADFFS the behavior is exactly the same as when starting any game (the machine hangs with a black screen).
Without ADFFS it normally switches the monitor to LoRes mode. I can see the cursor and can type with no problem.
Yes, without ADFFS "Quit" returns the machine back to * and when I press "return" twice the original 1920X1080 desktop comes back.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Victor wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:50 pm When starting ADFFS the behavior is exactly the same as when starting any game (the machine hangs with a black screen).
You won't be able to start any games directly unless they're 32-bit versions.

If you can't even load !ADFFS then something serious has gone wrong - most likely with GraphicsV if its hung on a black screen.

Quit out of the desktop (CTRL+SHIFT+F12 twice), then try running !ADFFS - just to rule out the Wimp mode change causing the issue. If it still hangs, I have literally no idea how to debug or fix it without getting hands-on.
Victor

Post by Victor »

I tried to run ADFFS from the command line as you just recommended. Again ADFFS starts and return the * prompt but when you start the game. (I was trying "!Ballarena", !Wolf32, !Alone) the machine hangs the same way ((

Is there any remote control app on RiscOS? If there is, I could give you the access to the machine in order you can take a look at it at your convenience.
I have heard about DeskWatcher but it sounds like it is a commercial product.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Victor wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:45 pm ADFFS starts and return the * prompt
Now try:

Code: Select all

Quit out of the desktop (CTRL+SHIFT+F12 twice)
!ADFFS
BASIC
MODE 13
Does it hang at this point, or can you see what you're typing?
Victor

Post by Victor »

Does it hang at this point, or can you see what you're typing?

I tried this already. The machine hangs the same way as when you start any game.
(Black screen, not responding to anything. Only power off / on returns it to the working state)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Victor wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:51 pm I tried this already. The machine hangs
It's a GraphicsV driver issue then, which I'm afraid I won't be able to resolve remotely.

It could be anything from the refresh rate being too high, a lack of 24bit support at the resolutions required, inability to map in the video memory to IO space, lack of MDF entries for legacy modes or an obscure bug that specific to OMAP.

I'll change the release notes to state OMAP isn't supported.