S.W.I.V. (1992) (Krisalis Software)

Download games the project has approval to release
JonAbbott

Re: S.W.I.V. (1992) (Krisalis Software)

Post by JonAbbott »

dave_b5678 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:54 pm Is there anything I can try to slow it down?
Try pressing CTRL-SHIFT-PgUp a few times to add delay to any frame-swap the game might be doing. I'm not 100% certain if it will work for this game.

I'll have to check the boot script for this game as I don't recall if it self-regulates or needs slowing. You might have come across a bug in ADFFS as I'm sure this used to run at the correct frame rate when run via Boot Floppy.

EDIT: I've checked the boot script and my notes. The script doesn't slow the game down as it self-regulates. I've tried it on a SA and it did run at the correct speed, so I'm unsure why it's running fast on your machine. CTRL-SHIFT-PgUp won't unfortunately slow this game down.
dave_b5678

Post by dave_b5678 »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply and for having a look into this. I've just had a try this morning, and you're right, the CTRL-SHIFT-PgUp doesn't seem to have any effect. I've tried to make a short clip to demonstrate which should be here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WdjWkQUZA

It looks like everything is running slightly quicker than I remember, even the title sequence (maybe just me getting old!) I've only just got the memory up to 32MB on this machine, so it didn't work at all previously. Also, F1 doesn't seem to pause the game, but does seem to remove the baddies from screen if held down. I will have another RISC PC to play with soon, so will try on that one and compare. Thanks
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

dave_b5678 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:25 am It looks like everything is running slightly quicker than I remember, even the title sequence (maybe just me getting old!) I've only just got the memory up to 32MB on this machine, so it didn't work at all previously. Also, F1 doesn't seem to pause the game, but does seem to remove the baddies from screen if held down.
I'm seeing the same issue with F1 and also owe you an apology. I've just tested on my ARM710 RiscPC and see the same speed issue you're seeing.

Its also failing to load on my StrongARM RiscPC - it seems to be performing a disc protection check which is failing as the package doesn't include the floppy.

The BUZZ version of the game loads on the StrongARM, but crashes randomly. It also doesn't appear to be setting the screen caching correctly.

On the ARM710 both versions abort on exit trying to write to the screen @ 1C1B0. It looks like they're still running code that writes to the screen after the screen has been unmapped.

Finally, there's an issue with the Joystick detection - which is something I noted during previous testing but haven't investigated. It thinks there are Joysticks attached - I suspect it's RTFM code is incorrect, which I've also found in some other games and fixed.

I'll investigate all of these issues.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

There's a work-in-progress !Run replacement script in this post, which resolves the issue mentioned above.

Keep an eye on that post, which I'll update as I resolve the remaining issues. Once complete, I'll roll it into ADFFS 2.81 and release a revised PackMan package.
dave_b5678

Post by dave_b5678 »

JonAbbott wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:50 am I'm seeing the same issue with F1 and also owe you an apology. I've just tested on my ARM710 RiscPC and see the same speed issue you're seeing.
Hi Jon, thanks for the update and no problem at all, it's a pleasure to be able to run these great retro games on both original and new hardware and bring back a few memories. Thanks for the work on this, and keep an eye on the other post and wait for the next ADFFS version to appear before giving it a try, as I guess I'd need to re-archive the obey files to try the updated !Run script.