Forcing LCDGamesMode on when using a multi scan monitor

Discuss LCDGameModes by Steve Harrison
Idge

Re: Forcing LCDGamesMode on when using a multi scan monitor

Post by Idge »

Apologies for the late reply Jon.
I have just got around to testing this finally on my physical machine.
The game loads fine but when selecting the Sweet Meadow level it shows a red screen showing Insert Disk 3 into Drive 0 which seems to flicker.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Could you send me copies of the files prior to being patched:
TC
PV
PVC
SO
SOC

The code that prompts for the disk is removed by the patch, so it either didn't get patched or your copy is different.
Idge

Post by Idge »

Hi Jon,
I am pretty sure I am using the JASPP images (I will confirm) for this one.
Disk 2 levels work fine, it seems to just be anything that needs disk 3.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'll get my A440 into a working state over the weekend and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Just to rule it out, could you recopy the two files that get patched from disk 3 and delete the date file so it rematches them on the next run.

What filesystem is your HD attached to? ADFS or IDEFS? The game's FIQ code might need modifying for the disk 3 levels. In the end I opted to leave it alone prior to RO3.5, on later OS the patch removes all use of FIQ.

EDIT: I've just tested on an A440 running from an Armstrong Walker IDEFS and an A4000 running from ADFS and both ran okay. Just to be sure the script above is the latest one, I've updated it with the copy in !ADFFS.obey/zip from ADFFS 2.80
eddebaby

Post by eddebaby »

I seem to be having the same issue as Idge here: title screen, map screen, and side view levels work fine. Loading a top down level gives the same results as the screenshot Idge posted on the first page.

I can send files if you would like Jon (let me know the method to send to you). It would be nice to get this one working, as it always crashed after about 5 minutes when I played it back in the day. Let me know if you need any scans too.

It also seems like I might have a corrupted disc, my JFD is corrupt somewhere in the TD file. Luckily I have a partially corrupt, but working, version of TD from an old ADF backup, and it seems that the TD from the ADPL release can also be dropped in (and is sans-corruption).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Provided you're using the script from this post against a fresh copy and your files match the copy I based them on, the various issues should be fixed. As mentioned above if you could email me the 5 pre-patched files in question, I'll check them against my copy of the game. You could probably even attach them as a ZIP to a post as I think they're quite small.

The blank screen is where the game gets stuck waiting for ADFS to release the FIQ vector, which it won't do when run from HD. I completely remove the code in question in the latest script.

The crashing whilst playing is possibly down to Page Zero access bugs. I've fixed several, but there could be more. If you have a Pi, PM me your eMail address and I'll send you a copy of ADFFS 2.81 beta with all the Page Zero access checks enabled. With a proper play test that might track down any bugs I missed.
eddebaby

Post by eddebaby »

I am using ADFFS 2.80, which from a quick glance is the same as the obey script you posted. Is the one posted newer than 2.80?

I've PM'd those 5 files and my email address to you.

I do have a Pi (Pi 1 512MB) and I'm happy to do some play testing: I had assumed that the problems I had in the 90s were because we only had a 1MB machine, but if they are bugs, it would be great if you could squash them.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

eddebaby wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:44 pm I've PM'd those 5 files and my email address to you.
Your disc 3 looks like its from an earlier release that has two additional bugs, which are patched in the original I have.

I've attached my copy of PVC, if you want to see if it solves the problem. It's unpatched, so delete the date file to have it patched on 1st run.
Attachments
PVC.zip
(24.71 KiB) Downloaded 3399 times
eddebaby

Post by eddebaby »

JonAbbott wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:46 pm Your disc 3 looks like its from an earlier release that has two additional bugs, which are patched in the original I have.

I've attached my copy of PVC, if you want to see if it solves the problem. It's unpatched, so delete the date file to have it patched on 1st run.
I can now load the top down levels using your copy of PVC (I just tried 1 of them quickly).

I'll do some play testing in the future.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'll add a validation check to the patching, so it will at least warn if the files differ from what it's expecting. Given the number of bugs in this game I wouldn't be surprised if there's not several versions out there.

I can also roll the two additional patches into your version, once I've added a way to distinguish between them.