Break 147 & Superpool

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
Idge

Break 147 & Superpool

Post by Idge »

Hi all,
I am trying to Image my Break 147 & Superpool disks to run via ADFFS, however am having a lot of trouble getting it to work.
Is there something I have to do to get this working?

I have imaged all 3 disks successfully with no errors when imaging. (I had to use my own recording files as when using the ones supplied in the JFDRecord archiveI kept getting disk errors)

Once imaged, I then got an error about Bad file %NET LOGON% or something similar when running Break147. I got around this by running configure filesystem ADFS.

Break 147 runs fine, however Super Pool gives a message regarding missing Resources.Resources.Window Messages or something like that.

I do see that you mention Hard Disk Installation only in the notes for this game, however I don't see any Hard Disk Install program and copying directly to the Hard Disk and running from there, yields the same results.

Boot Floppy fails with an error message regarding ADFS::0.$.Memalloc missing

I am trying to run this on an original Acorn A3010 with 4MB ram, and ZIDEFS Ide Module. I should note that Super Pool does not run from the floppy disk directly either. It starts loading and then just hangs, however the disk seems fine.

Thanks
JonAbbott

Re: Break 147 & Superpool

Post by JonAbbott »

Idge wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:20 pm I have imaged all 3 disks successfully with no errors when imaging. (I had to use my own recording files as when using the ones supplied in the JFDRecord archiveI kept getting disk errors)
You should not be getting any disk errors, but should see two protection blocks towards the end of the floppy.

I'm assuming that when you manually copy the files you don't get errors, which implies its possibly a unique version of the game. Look in the !Break_147 folder for a date file - the recordings were taken from the 05-01-1992 version.
Idge wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:20 pm Once imaged, I then got an error about Bad file %NET LOGON% or something similar when running Break147. I got around this by running configure filesystem ADFS.

Break 147 runs fine, however Super Pool gives a message regarding missing Resources.Resources.Window Messages or something like that.
The "%NET LOGON%" error is fixed by the boot script (F1005601). Where you used your own recording, it might have lost the game ID so Boot Floppy isn't working. When creating the JFD, if you select the game via the drop-down and then drag your recording file onto the window - it should hopefully retain the game ID and use the correct boot script.
Idge wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:20 pm I do see that you mention Hard Disk Installation only in the notes for this game, however I don't see any Hard Disk Install program and copying directly to the Hard Disk and running from there, yields the same results.

Boot Floppy fails with an error message regarding ADFS::0.$.Memalloc missing
You'll need to HD install it if you want both games to work as when Boot Floppy is used it will only launch Break 147. As you've noted, it details how to do this in the Boot script.
Idge

Post by Idge »

Cheers Jon.

When Imaging using the recording files from the JFDRecord archive, it went through sector by sector with all green until the end where it had the two yellow protection blocks as you mention.
When I then tried to run the game I get a disk error 10 on both superpool and break 147.

When I took my own recording file, it had multiple yellow protection sectors which then worked fine and loaded Break147 successfully and yes when copying the files, I got no errors (which I did several times to be sure)

I will check the version later on tonight to see which version I have and will try again to get Superpool to load

Thanks
Idge

Post by Idge »

I checked for a version file and there wasn’t any unfortunately.
I also tried to get Superpool working by installing it to the hard disk and replacing the run files with the file from the obey file, but it still won’t not run.
Break147 works
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

The Boot script for this game was updated in the latest beta, but from your description it sounds like you have a version that uses slightly different protection. If you email the JFD to me, I'll investigate further and update the imaging for the final ADFFS 2.80 release. I have a few other TFD titles that have variations that I've already included and some still to look at.

Now that more people are imaging their floppies, it's become clear that TFD went through several iterations of protection with some titles having up to 3 different releases. Because of this, I've started differentiating them by the release datestamp. In all cases so far, the initial release does not contain a datestamp file but later releases do. Where it gets confusing however is when they updated the game but forgot to update the datestamp file, which I've seen a few times.
eddebaby

Post by eddebaby »

Hi Jon,

Firstly thanks for ADFFS, and the JASPP project at large: I have used your releases from !PackMan, imaged some old discs, and created custom !Run files for some other games.

One of the games I am having issues with is Break 147 & Superpool, I don't know if I have another different release, or the same as Idge... I have no !Install folder in my files, and I cannot find any datestamp file. I can send the JFDs I made (using a PC, Virtual A5000, and the recordings built in to ADFFS).

Here are some screenshots of the completed imaging process: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KChTNm ... sp=sharing

I cannot get either Break 147 or Superpool to work. Any ideas?

I hope it is OK to add to this topic, rather than creating a new one.