Installing Diggers on a Raspberry Pi

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
GrahamBruno

Installing Diggers on a Raspberry Pi

Post by GrahamBruno »

Hello Folks,

I recently picked up a copy of Diggers by Millennium Interactive and am looking to run the game on RISC OS on a Raspberry PI.

So far when looking to get setup to game on the Acorn I have used a combination of games distributed by JASPP using !PacMan and have also used ADFFS to run floppy disc images of various cover discs I've imaged using OmniFlop on an old XP machine to access the programs contained therein. I've used OmniFlop to create ADL files of each of the discs and have labelled them Diggers D1, DIggers D2 and Diggers D3.

I have moved each of these images across to the 26bit RISC OS 3 emulator on the PI but find that whilst I can load each one in turn I'm not able to swap between the games three discs using Ctrl + Shift + F1 to F3.

If I run the game from Disc 1 the game intro begins but I'm then unable to switch discs. Installing the game to the hard disc gets me to a "Try again on DIsc 1" error.

I'm thinking that I might need to either create a JASPP ADF or JFD file but am not sure if I can do so from my existing adl images I created using OmniFlop. Alternatively, I might need to use a boot script to combine the three discs I have together. I've read references to a collection of such boot scripts in an Obey.zip file but don't know if this is published on the forum and if so where to find it.

Many thanks for any guidance anyone might be able to offer on how I could potentially move forward!
GrahamBruno

Re: Installing Diggers on a Raspberry Pi

Post by GrahamBruno »

UPDATE: I've been able to run Diggers from the disc images I've made using Arculator. I'm now able to play the game within Arculator if I switch disc images when prompted. The Diggers installer however does not seem to produce a working installation of the software that I can run directly from HDD - I continue to hit a "Try again on Disc 1" error which remains even when I leave disc 1 as the mounted floppy disc.

As such, I would remain interested in any guidance folks could provide about either obtaining or creating a boot script to allow me to avoid having to swap between disc images.

Many thanks!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Once installed to HD, try replacing it’s !Run with the Boot script that’s in !ADFFS.Obey - it’s just a stock ZIP file.

I don’t recall if it has protection on disc 1, although as it’s prompting for disc 1 when HD installed it probably does, in which case you’ll need to mount disc 1 in the script.
GrahamBruno

Post by GrahamBruno »

Sorry for the delay in reply! Thanks for the advice.

On my setup on the Pi I had installed !ADFFS via the JASPP repository using !PackMan and had selected the option to include it within the Apps folder in the task bar (Resources.$.Apps) When I used Shift + Left click to open !ADFFS that way I did not see the Obey.zip.

When I opened !ADFFS using Shift + Left Click from SDFS::RISCOSPi.$.Apps.Games I was able to find the Obey.zip, grab the appropriate Boot Script and then replace the !Run file in my Diggers HD install. It worked!

Armed with this I've been able to get a few other titles working for me that I hadn't previously got working by replacing their !Run files with the Boot Scripts including Xenon II and Technodream. A huge thanks :-)