Wolfenstein 3D [32bit version] (2018) (JASPP)

Download games the project has approval to release
matburton

Re: Wolfenstein 3D [32bit version] (2018) (JASPP)

Post by matburton »

Thanks for your help Jon
JonAbbott wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:26 am have you tried increasing the min value?
I've tried increasing it to 1536K but that didn't seem to help
JonAbbott wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:23 pm the only way that error can occur is if its trying to run in MODE 49. Have you gone into the Choices on the Icon Bar app and switched it to MODE 13? You might also want to select the Low memory option.
I think I've tried every combination, here's a GIF to illustrate:
matburton

Post by matburton »

Wait! :lol: In my haste I didn't even notice that the error message had changed!

I'll do some more experimenting and report back!
matburton

Post by matburton »

Nope, sadly I'm stuck on a similar error screen saying

Code: Select all

Unable to allocate resource table
That feels like the most promising error, but however I tweak the min memory options or low memory setting I can't get past that it seems
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

matburton wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 pm Nope, sadly I'm stuck on a similar error screen saying

Code: Select all

Unable to allocate resource table
That feels like the most promising error, but however I tweak the min memory options or low memory setting I can't get past that it seems
I guess it's hard coded to 2048K min for a reason then. It obviously needs more ram that you can squeeze out of your 2MB machine. I suspect the low ram option isn't actually doing anything and perhaps the source code was modified before it reached me, to be more geared towards a RiscPC with more ram.
matburton

Post by matburton »

JonAbbott wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 am perhaps the source code was modified before it reached me, to be more geared towards a RiscPC with more ram.
That seems likely as I have a boxed version, but sadly it's a later release with strong ARM support.
It does run on an A3000, but with the music screwed up and it runs at a snails pace!
Also the copy protection has been removed, which is no fun!
I'm guessing that in adding strong ARM support they introduced quite a few regressions! :|

Here's a pic of my copy:

For a speed comparison, here's the JASPP version under RISCOS 3.11 with 4MB of RAM (A3000):

And here's the version I have on floppy under the exact same configuration:

It does work with RISCOS2 and 2MB of RAM, but it's not enjoyable.

I know the original release wasn't like that, but it seems like the original has been somewhat lost!
matburton

Post by matburton »

I eventually returned to this, and I think I've worked it out.

The original game detected the CPU.
If you have an ARM2 it disables the in-game music option.
Otherwise in-game music was enabled by default.
The in-game music halves the frame rate on an ARM2.

I've got a patched WolfExe that works as I remember on an A3000 with an ARM2 and 2MB of RAM.
The music on the splash screen plays correctly as well.

Am I allowed to attach the disk images to this thread?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

matburton wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:14 pm Am I allowed to attach the disk images to this thread?
Unfortunately not, JASPP does not hold any rights to the original release.

This version is an enhanced release requested by RCi that they later granted permission to release. Although I ensured it was backward compatible to ARM2 it would need an overclocked ARM2 to run at the intended framerate. And as noted in the OP it requires 2MB of free memory, so requires a machine with 4MB RAM.

As you've pointed out, the original release did have a stripped down version for 1MB machines, but the target for this version was 32bit machines so memory wasn't really a concern. Once I'd finished the development work, I went back and shoehorned it into working on earlier machines, mainly to work around the lack of permissions to the original release.