Games wont run on Raspberry Pi

Discuss the project, or ask a general question
theduck

Games wont run on Raspberry Pi

Post by theduck »

I have installed RiscOS on a RaspberryPi 3b using Noobs, I have installed ADFFS and downloaded various games from this site, however, when I try and run the games, if they run at all, I get a blank screen, and sometimes message from my monitor about unsupported resolution. The only exceptions to this were Pipemania and Lotus Turbo Challenge which both seemed to run but I had multiple fuzzy screens. I have tried downloading anymode but now get a message from the monitor that there is no HDMI signal whenever I run a game, including Pipemania and Lotus Turbo Challenge.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
theduck

Re: Games wont run on Raspberry Pi

Post by theduck »

Spotted my first mistakes, I realised noobs installs 5.26 and I need 5.27, so updated with the beta file from riscos website, then realised I had missed the Boot file that needs editing and the one that needs creating, so did that, restarted and everything was broken, just endless error messages! Time to start again :(
theduck

Post by theduck »

Ok, quick update. Re-installed RiscOS (5.27), Installed ADFFS (2.72), confirmed fake_vsync_isr=1 is NOT commented out, created CMDLINE/TXT with content disable_mode_changes

Still get message on my monitor to change input timing to 1920x1080, 60hz or other supported modes - manual for monitor is here and supports down to 640x480
theduck

Post by theduck »

Also tried now on my samsung TV, but again just get a blank screen and eventually a no signal message :(
theduck

Post by theduck »

CMDLINE/TXT disappears from !Boot.Loader after a reboot, could this be my issue?
theduck

Post by theduck »

Ok, for anyone else that has this issue

When you turn on the pi, you must hold down shift to go to the noobs screen

Then select edit config

Then you can edit CMDLINE.Text and add in disable_mode_changes

and then games work!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Glad you sorted it out and useful to know. I've updated the Pi requirement section on the download page with your instructions, so the next NOOBS users does suffer the same problems.