ADFFS 2.71 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.71 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I know why you can't reproduce it: It quits fine if you quit while on the tittle screen, or the intro to the first level.
But try to quit on the game itself, while you play the first level for example, and you will see it hangs.
More conclusions I got from the experiments you told me to do:
-It hangs while the game screen stays still, so you can't see what's going on even if you run the !Run manually from the CLI. Doesn't seem to change MODE either.
-The floppy disk does the same.
-Only the Learning Curve version has this problem.
-Reinstalling the game doesn't change anything.

UPDATE: Quitting via CTRL+ESC works with no problem! Only CTRL+SHIFT+F12 causes the hang. Strange, but maybe you know what the differences are.

UPDATE2: "The Dungeon" hangs on this beta as soon as trying to run it. Works fine on stable 2.70.

UPDATE3: If you run "The Dungeon" on 2.70, you quit the game and then try to run Pac-Mania, it will fail with "abort on data transfer at &FC1D81B8", so I think "The Dungeon" is not clearing something on quit.

@richw: USBJoystick is great! Can't wait to see keyboard emulation support for games reluctant to use joysticks... 8-)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm Quitting via CTRL+ESC works with no problem! Only CTRL+SHIFT+F12 causes the hang. Strange, but maybe you know what the differences are.
CTRL-ESC is a legal means to quit most C based games. CTRL-SHIFT-F12 forcibly terminates a task and attempts to roll back everything it's done since loading, consider it a last resort termination if there's no legal way to quit a game.
Vanfanel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm "The Dungeon" hangs on this beta as soon as trying to run it. Works fine on stable 2.70.
Thanks, I'll investigate.
Vanfanel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm @richw: USBJoystick is great! Can't wait to see keyboard emulation support for games reluctant to use joysticks... 8-)
ADFFS does have Joystick->Keyboard mapping build in, I just haven't got around to adding the relevant command to any of the scripts.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm [Pac-Mania] quits fine if you quit while on the title screen, or the intro to the first level. But try to quit in the game itself, while you play the first level for example, and you will see it hangs.
I'm seeing the same issue if forcibly terminating when in game, so will investigate.
Vanfanel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm "The Dungeon" hangs on this beta
2.71o package now available to fix this issue.
Vanfanel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm If you run "The Dungeon" on 2.70, you quit the game and then try to run Pac-Mania, it will fail
Remove and then redownload the game via PackMan. The issue was in ExSound and also carried over to the 32bit version. I've fixed the 32bit build bundled with ADFFS and botched the game's !Run to use it instead. At some point I need to fix the BASIC code in The Dungeon so it doesn't attempt to load its local copy.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@jon:
I updated the ADFFS beta and reinstalled The Dungeon.
The Dungeon works with current beta, and it doesn't make Pac-Mania fail anymore! Yay! :D
Such a pleasure to do thigs this way! The PackMan way to install and update is awesome.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've fixed the high score screen in Bouncer and have fixed a few other issues. Looking at the code, I believe it should run at half the speed it did previously, but doesn't due to a typo in its code - I've put two alternative fixes in the !Run one of which slows the game down. Remove the package and redownload it to get the fixed version.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've fixed Ballarena [UCS], which was hanging on the loader screen. It turned out to be a bug in the game code, which although it gets the screen address legally, it assumed it ends on a 1MB boundary. Remove the package and redownload it to get the fixed version.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

The following game packages have been updated and are now available for testers:
  • F1014601 Exotic Adventures of Sylvia Layne, The (1993) (The Fourth Dimension)
  • F1026801 Olympics, The (1990) (The Fourth Dimension)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

2.71p package now available, which fixes a bug in the way palette entries destined for the GPU are handled in the GraphicsV driver.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

2.71q package now available. Spotted another issue with the way palette changes were being handled in the GraphicsV driver, it wasn't passing changes on for MODE's it wasn't taking over.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

2.71r package now available. I've fixed some fairly fatal bugs:
  • When launching 26bit apps, it wasn't notifying the current app that a new app was launching until after it had already loaded the binary. This was only noticeable if a 26bit BASIC app tried to *RUN an Absolute or file with an execution address which would cause a fatal crash.
  • Screen memory remapping wasn't shutting down if ADFRemapVideoMemory was called after the JIT had shut down, this affected a large number of games. It would result in a fatal error if a game was subsequently run, that didn't require screen memory remapping. It also meant the screen memory remained remapped after ADFFS reports an abort, or ADFFS is quit.