ADFFS 2.64 public beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

ADFFS 2.64 public beta

Post by JonAbbott »

There are no bug fixes or changes to ADFFS in this build other than to allow the Filer to image floppies into ADFFS as ADF.

To create an ADF floppy image, insert the floppy and select "Image floppy\Image as ADF" from the Filer. Once complete select "Save as" from the Filer to save the ADF image to HD. During imaging it displays the window below, detailing progress and any errors or disc protection detected. For example, here's the result of attempting to image Disc 1 of Black Angel:
Image_floppy1.png
Image_floppy1.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 11203 times
To create a JFD floppy image, ensure you've ejected any mounted floppy images from ADFFS (use Eject from the ADFFS Filer) and select "Image floppy\Image as JFD". This will present you with the following window:
Image_floppy2.png
Image_floppy2.png (24.38 KiB) Viewed 11076 times
Select the title using the drop-down menu to the right of the Title field (this may take a while to open on ARM2/ARM3 machines), then drag the "Save JFD as" icon to the folder you want to save the JFD image in. Provided you have !SparkFS loaded and ADFFS already has a recording of the title in question, "Recording file" will be automatically filled. If you wish to use your own record file, drag/drop it into the window.

Once you're happy with the settings, ensure the physical floppy is inserted and click OK to start imaging.
Attachments
adffs264h.zip
(982.17 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.64 public beta

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.64b now available in the OP, which shows ADF imaging progress, errors and any detected disc protection.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I guess this is for people with floppy drives who want to do their own disk images for the projects, right? Since I don't have a floppy drive, should I do intensive testing on this, Jon?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:00 pm I guess this is for people with floppy drives who want to do their own disk images
Indeed. Developing a GUI for floppy imaging and adding the ability to image as ADF has been outstanding for a very long time (over 6 years :oops:), so I thought I'd make a start on it as a New Years resolution. The next step is adding the GUI for JFD imaging.

No need for you to test, this is specifically aimed at Archimedes, RiscPC and Iyonix users.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.64c now available in the OP, which includes the GUI for imaging JFD files. There's little in the way of error checking at the moment, so ensure the output JFD file is dragged to a folder and its either automatically selected a recording file, or you've manually dragged one you've previously created into the window.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.64d now available in the OP. Various bug fixes to the JFD imaging process and I've added a field to override the floppy size auto detection.

You can now Flush and save mounted JFD files from the ADFFS Filer, should their contents change. Note that it doesn't currently Auto flush (ie auto save when the disc image is written too), although there is a field in the JFD imager for it.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.64e now available in the OP. I've added error detection to JFD imaging and fixed a few more issues.

This build contains an experimental low vector version for folk running such versions of RISC OS 5. This has undergone no testing and is unsupported, some games that work under high vector will fail when run under a low vector build.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.64f now available in the OP. Added two selectable titles to the drop down, "ADFS 800K (E)" and "ADFS 1.6M" to allow a full image of those floppy types and it now works on ROL RISC OS versions that have an inbuilt version of ZLib.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.64g now available in the OP. Adding support for the ROL version of ZLib caused corrupt archives to be produced, so I've rolled back the change. There's also a bug fix where the OS/CPU compatibility flags weren't being set in the JFD file.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.64h now available in the OP. The Time Machine disc 1 recording was missing the disc protection and you can now convert APD images to JFD by mounting and then using "Save as" to save them.

The only real advantage to saving an APD as JFD is it's quicker to mount; APD's have to pass through a 1772 FDC emulator when they're loaded, which converts them to JFD format within memory. If you wish to add metadata, you will need to use "Image floppy/Image as JFD" with the APD mounted, as there's currently no facility to modify JFD metadata directly.