Genre: Sport
RAM: 8192

CPU compatibility: ARM610 ARM700 ARM710 ARM7500 StrongARM ARMv5+
OS compatibility: 3.5x 3.6x 3.7x 3.8x 4.x 5.x

Legal info: Distribution rights granted to JASPP by Rob Deacon

Download full archive: Image (8.2mb)

Download game only: Image (7.9mb)

Game info
To run the game extract the ZIP to harddisc and run via the application icon.

Getting the perfect shot can be quite difficult at first, ensure you set the skill to Amateur until you've mastered swing control. The full archive contains a PDF manual which has more information.

Keys
ESCReturn to course menu
CTRL-ESCQuit to Desktop
Mouse up/downSelect club (prior to starting swing)
Left mouse buttonSwitch to swing mode / Initiate backswing. Click at the desired backswing and click again exactly halfway on the downswing for the perfect shot
Right mouse buttonView course

Synopsis
MicroDrive aimed to be the best golf simulator available on a home computer in 1990. MicroDrive 32M enhances the original by adding true colour graphics and RiscPC compatibility. Originally due for release in the mid 90's, JASPP is pleased to release the game, having updated it for ARMv7 / Raspberry Pi compatibility.

The landscape is true 3-D and the ball reacts to hills etc.
The gameplay actually simulates what happens in golf.
Backswing, downswing and release, all mouse controlled.
No distracting power meters, you control by skill and feel.
3 skill levels - hints and tips for each hole.

Screenshots
Image Image

Gameplay
KarateEd

Re: MicroDrive 32M (2017) (JASPP)

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Jon,

Me causing trouble again.

So, when I load this game, the first thing I see under RISC OS is the following message:

Screen mode not available @ 130

The program used to run through this and just start up. After a reboot, it no longer does. The solution to this was to make sure !configure showed 640 x 480, not NATIVE, now it runs through the stop sign.

I'm unsure exactly what that message means, perhaps you know?

Also, there are a few lines that are MODE commands, I think to reference the screen being used.

Anyway, in the program for a couple of those lines, the X number is 480 and Y 352 (these are in the GOLF program).
When I run it, it tells me it's an unknown MODE. That isn't really the problem (I don't think) as I've been able to change the ones that weren't x640, y480 to those values and the program works, sort of.

What happens is there are blank (read black) portions of the fairway even though the main part is drawn enough to play the game properly. When I view the particular hole, it displays correctly. When I return to the hole to play it, it is now showing correctly although within a certain square on the screen.

I have 2 questions: One - is it possible to get the program to print the screen correctly by altering some other variables within the program and Two - is there a way to change the MODE of my screen even though it doesn't show in !configure (screen) or the desktop.

I'm playing this on my Pi2 and am using the beta from the site.

It's an interesting issue and I'm starting to see a bit on how the programming on RISC OS works, just a little.... very interesting to me.

One other thing I've noticed is the System sprites are 0 when I try to run the program and of course it fails as it needs some memory for them. Can you tell me how I set this up in my !boot file to ensure it's already at, let's say, 1024 bytes to allow the program to run?

Brilliant game btw. Very nice golf game for an early 3D version.

Thanks Jon,

Ed...... :-)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Sounds like I possibly missed a few things when testing. It shouldn't need System Sprite memory I'm sure I checked it was using private sprites, but if it does, just drag the Sprite slider up in the task manager (right click on the bottom right icon on the task bar.)

For the video mode, you need AnyMode on a Pi.

Thanks for pointing these issues out, I'll take another look at the code and see if I can make it more vanilla Pi friendly.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Jon,

Yup, that's how I solved the sprite issue too.

When I use AnyMode and go into the play of a golf course, I get the usual setup screen ok but when I actually try to play the game, I get the infamous 'Input Signal Out of Range'.

Rt Clk shows the 2D hole no problem, it's only the 3D part of the hole that I get this now.

I suspect it has something to do with Lines 22330 and 28630 which show MODE values of X480 Y352. I'm guessing the monitor isn't recognizing that MODE and AnyMode does recognize it, tries to perform the function and the monitor says no to it. Does that make any sense?

Also, with AnyMode running, I notice when I first start the game it shows 'Input Signal Out of Range for a few seconds before showing the opening screen of the 8 golf courses.

Hope this helps somewhat......

JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

If you follow the pre-reqs as required for ADFFS, it should work. I expect you have GPU mode change support enabled.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

JonAbbott wrote:I expect you have GPU mode change support enabled.
Spot on Jon,

Thanks very much..... seems to be working perfectly now. Great Job!!!

danielb

Post by danielb »

Hello,

I believe I may have found a bug in this program:

- hit the ball out of bounds. After the "out of bounds, penalty" etc. message, the game disappears and is replaced by the following message:

"No such line at line 480"

In the program, line 480 is : if obds% then 380 else 370" and line 380 doesn't exist.

Rgds,

D.

PS, this is my first post in this forum. I never actually owned an Archimedes back in the day, but I was always curious about it. It's kind of amazing that a Raspberry Pi is to all intents and purposes the modern incarnation of the Archimedes, and this project getting all these old games to work on it is the icing on the cake.

D.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Thanks for reporting the bug, I've taken a look. The line should be:

Code: Select all

480 IF obds% THEN 390 ELSE 370
I'll get the download updated.