Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.61 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon:

-Euroblaster works OK on the Pi
-Joust works OK on the Pi
-Master Break works OK on the Pi
-Memory Magic works OK on the Pi

As for "Cobalt Seed", it's one of the coolest games in the system. I hope you can fix it's remaining bugs :)

Also, I don't know if I asked this already, but "Alone in the Dark" protection makes it annoying to test. Could it receive the "Simon the Sorcerer" treatment, please?
I would say it's easy as the game simply exits after intro if no correct code is entered, so it's only a matter of disabling that exit...maybe :D
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:I don't know if I asked this already, but "Alone in the Dark" protection makes it annoying to test. Could it receive the "Simon the Sorcerer" treatment, please?
You did ask quite a while ago and I did look at stripping the protection, but it wasn't particularly straight forward from memory as the game was running under a CallBack.

The problem with stripping out protection is you're never sure you've found all the checks, sneaky developers have a habit of breaking the game when you're getting into it. Rockfall and Fire & Ice are two that spring to mind, that become unwinnable if the protection fails.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Update obey.zip on the dev site, which gets the following working:

F1024701 MicroDrive (1990) (Cambridge International Software)
F1024801 MicroDrive World Edition (1991) (Cambridge International Software)
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: MicrDrive works OK on the Pi.
About "Alone in the Dark" protection, if you remove the initial check I can easily complete the game to verify it's completable. How does that sound?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

It's on the list of things to investigate.

Add the following to !Run and see if the game is completable:

Code: Select all

JITMEMORYA 24EA0 1A000007 EA00003A
EDIT: Make sure you create a Save directory within !Alone, so you can save game. The original !Run replacement didn't do this automatically.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I have updated my RISC OS Rom on the Pi1 to latest beta (RC15) and now ADFFS says:
"ADFFS requires High Vector build of Risc OS 5 on this machine".
What's wrong?

EDIT: I have removed the test causing that error from !ADFFS.!Run, and ADFFS seems to run normally...
EDIT2: Nope, some games fail, like Cannon Fodder... :(

AH! Solved. The newest build (2017-04-13 21:47:26) is high-vector, it seems. RC15 is not. Updating to latest build did the trick.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I wasn't even aware RC15 had been released, it wasn't announced for some reason. I'm also bemused as to why it's Low Vector when ROOL put a time limit on Low Vector being phased out, which has long since passed.
hubersn

Post by hubersn »

JonAbbott wrote:I wasn't even aware RC15 had been released, it wasn't announced for some reason.
It was announced, but in the "News" section of the ROOL site https://www.riscosopen.org/news/article ... 15-out-now and not in the "Announcements" in the Forum.

hubersn
richw

Post by richw »

I suspect the old guard were upset about Aemulor and/or Impression not working. :)

I think the goal is high vector for the next stable release. The Pi 'release candidates' are really works in progress. There are further items to address before a Pi stable release.

More seriously, it is a tough call. HV is the way forward, but the thought of the earache over it makes me wince!

The ADFFS instructions can be simplified, though. Take RC15, add a later ROM image, disable the GPU mode switch and install AnyMode. Ta da. A tad easier for casual users?
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Yeah, disabling the mode changing is needed. I don't understan such a feature nowadays.. makes no sense at all with current displays where native res should be the only phisical res used: any other resolution being scaled to that using GPU. Use the phisical resolution in config,txt and stop changing phisical modes in 2017.