Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension [32bit version] (2002)

Download games the project has approval to release
JonAbbott

Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension [32bit version] (2002)

Post by JonAbbott »

Image Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension [32bit version] (2002) (Gremlin Graphics)

ID: 10573
Version: 1.61
Developer: Cygnus Software (conversion); James Byrne (conversion)
Genre: Platformer
RAM: 1024

CPU compatibility: ARM2 ARM250 ARM3 ARM610 ARM700 ARM710 ARM7500 StrongARM X-Scale ARM11
OS compatibility: 3.1x 3.5x 3.6x 3.7x 4.x 5.x

Legal info: Distribution rights held by JASPP

Download full archive: Image (4.5mb)

Download individual floppies: Image

Game info
Run the game by launching the icon.

NOTE: This includes the Copperbar patch for RISCOS 3.1x

Synopsis
While out on a routine recon mission in the Nth dimension, the ships scanners picked up a strange pulsating cloud formation. Of course my highly trained Ninja senses compelled me to probe this phenomenon more deeply.

Suddenly I was caught out in a powerful vortex. The ship span wildly out of control and we hurtled towards the centre. I asked the computer for analysis.

"Zool, the ship is out of control and about to crash land. Have a nice day!".

Thanks for the intelligence update!

"Warning ! The Ship is sinking in a custard lake, you have five seconds to abandon ship, Counting five, four, three ...."

Once on dry land I consulted my mini field computer to find out my position, condition and possible solution.

"Zool, Krool's forces have overtaken this and five other worlds. Your mission is to destroy Krool's armies and return. No attempt can be made to rescue you while the vortex remains, you're on your own , good luck. HQ."

I seemed to be in an world made entirely of sweets so I climbed a nearby rock cake for a better look. Here I was, a million light years from home, no ship and no chance of rescue. I must rid these worlds of Krool's evil influence or never return. This is where my story really begins.

Screenshots
Image Image

Gameplay
md0u80c9

Re: Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension [32bit version] (200

Post by md0u80c9 »

Hi John,

Tested this this evening on a Raspberry Pi, running Zool directly rather than through ADFFS.

It works very well.

I have spotted a brief problem: the music sometimes stops spontaneously - it restarts again at the end of a level (when the 'get ready' noise starts.

I haven't yet tested with ADFFS - will try it with later on and see if that makes a difference.

Tested later - it doesn't.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I don't think I've played it long enough to notice. It either requires a code change - we don't have the source, or something in the OS or another app is breaking it.

Which OS build are you using?
md0u80c9

Post by md0u80c9 »

5.21 (10-Nov-13).

I'd initially thought the flickering gold disc which doesn't respond when you touch it at the end of the level was a bug too - but then I realised it is a 'feature' - you need to collect enough points to progress.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

md0u80c9 wrote:I have spotted a brief problem: the music sometimes stops spontaneously - it restarts again at the end of a level (when the 'get ready' noise starts.
I've done some extensive testing today on the Pi and am seeing this problem quite a lot, I suspect there's a bug in the OS audio stack somewhere.
md0u80c9

Post by md0u80c9 »

'Extensive testing' huh... Terrible :-). Yes - I think probably an OS bug too.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:I've done some extensive testing today on the Pi and am seeing this problem quite a lot, I suspect there's a bug in the OS audio stack somewhere.
Audio cutting out is a known issue on the Pi
JonAbbott

Re: Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension [32bit version] (2002)

Post by JonAbbott »

I've updated the floppy image to include the Copperbar patch I released on Christmas Day 2014, for RISCOS 3.1x.