ADFFS 2.56 beta

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
JonAbbott

ADFFS 2.56 beta

Post by JonAbbott »

@Vanfanel Update to today's build and replace Dune II's !Run with F1053501 from today's obey.zip - hopefully the intro should now work and the in game sound will be 16bit, at the correct sample rate.

Should have looked into both issues before releasing today. Doh :oops:
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.56 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: with today's modules and obey I still get the "Disk drive is empty" error. It happens everytime I try to lauch the game now.
I tried mounting the first disk ("adfmount F1015701") of the floppy version in the !Run file (the F1053501 renamed to !Run from todays obey.zip), and then the game lauches always, but asks for disk8 as soon as I press the mouse button.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: with today's modules and obey I still get the "Disk drive is empty" error.
Try the latest obey.zip, seems I forgot to correct one line when transferring the changes across from my dev Pi.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Working great now, no more error messages! I can even go out of the game to the desktop with no errors!
I have a friend who's VERY good at this game, so I'll let him have a long game of Dune II this weekend and will tell you about any error we may find.

Also, this version has AWESOME audio, but graphics seem dithered as in the Amiga version. Is this game a direct port of the Amiga version in 32 colors mode?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:this version has AWESOME audio, but graphics seem dithered as in the Amiga version. Is this game a direct port of the Amiga version in 32 colors mode?
Quoting Jason Tribbeck:
With Dune II, I was fairly pleased with the plotting routines - they do on-the-fly dithering of the images, effectively performing some of the functions as ChangeFSI in real-time. I was quite surprised as to how well they worked. You can see it in operation when a tank moves diagonally - they dithering remains in place, even though the tank is moving.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

@Vanfanel Updated obey.zip on dev site, I've added Boot Scripts for the following games, which appear to work:

Aggressor
Air Supremacy
Arcturus

Aggressor - make sure you select the correct icon to play, otherwise you'll find you can't move as you're playing as Kosh (player 2). Once you click on "Play", click the middle icon for Heckler (player 1). Changing keys is a pain, as there's no key debounce pressing "Y" to change keys, so the 1st key always ends up being "Y". There's probably no easy fix for this, as I think it's written in BASIC which is encrypted.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: These games work well on the Pi, too!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

@Vanfanel If you update to today's Modules, the latest obey.zip and replace !ADFFS.trackers.DTT with the one in /Development/TrackerModules/DTT2QTM/DTT204.zip Birds of War should work. You'll need the full archive for the PDF manual and then follow the instructions in F1004201 to install to HD.

Known issues:
  1. The music doesn't sound right (the DTT shim isn't converting it correctly)
  2. The throttling up sound may not play correctly (need to confirm on physical)
  3. Taking off having selected the 1990 / North Cape, 1987 campaign crashes the game (need to confirm on physical)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

@Vanfanel Today's Modules and obey.zip get Wonderland working. It was a few bugs in ADFFS and several Page Zero bugs in the game that were preventing it working previously.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

@Vanfanel Today's Modules and obey.zip get Rick Dangerous working. Fixed a few Page Zero access bugs in the game and had to modify the SWI and 26bit Module handlers to support its tracker player Module.