ADFFS 2.54

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.54

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:What do you think?
I've had a look at that code and its a never-ending loop, even worse the entry to the function stacks PC instead of R14 - so it could never exit anyway.

Try the following from F12, before booting the game and see what happens:
JITMEMORYA 18A04 1B00161F E1A00000

How long does it take to get to the shop? I played it for 15 mins earlier and the level doesn't seem to end!
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I did what you said and now the shop is open, I can get info on the shop items but I can not click on anything to exit the shop, buy or sell. The items are animated and they are moving, and the music is playing.
I took a pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs286i6jsw10z ... 9.jpg?dl=0

It took me like 3 minutes to get to the shop. I try to destroy all I can on the first level, maybe you have to make a number of kills to get to the shop? I don't know. But the level is around 3 minutes long here.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I wonder if it's disc protection failing, I can't think why else the game would put itself into an indefinite loop. I've been trying to get to the shop on RO3.1 under emulation to see what happens, but can't survive long enough! If you want to give it a go, install ArcEm and use 2.50 within it.

Other possibile causes include OS differences and game bugs, quite a few of these types of issues turn out to be the latter. I've lost track of the number of bugs I've fixed so far, over 50 I'd imagine.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Using ArcEm I am unable to complete the first level, the game seems to be harder or maybe the controls are worse due to full system emulation. What a mistery!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

although Nevryon randomly hangs past 2.54g which I'm looking into next
Hopefully now fixed with today's build.

See if it makes any difference to BlowPipe.
Using ArcEm I am unable to complete the first level, the game seems to be harder or maybe the controls are worse due to full system emulation. What a mistery!
Sounds like the problem I'm having, we need infinite lives!! Sounds suspiciously like protection.
md0u80c9

Post by md0u80c9 »

Jon - have you tried or had any how with DinoSaw and Gyrinus 2? I've got copies of both (they were PD so distributable from the site).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

-Alone in the Dark: ADFFS Exception: ADFF5015 Unhandled read/write in page zero
Should be fixed with the latest obey.zip and modules. You'll need to recopy cam5_1 and cam5_2 from floppies 3/4 and replace !Run with the updated F1001501.
Jon - have you tried or had any how with DinoSaw and Gyrinus 2? I've got copies of both (they were PD so distributable from the site).
No, I've not tried them. DinoSaw was originally commercial, so we'd need permission to distribute through the project. Gyrinus II - Son of Gyrinus was PD, so we might be able to do something with that at some point.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@jon: Alone in the Dak works now!! I was playing for a while and seemed perfect to me! What an addition to Risc OS gaming! :D
This version seems to lack music however. Since you're touching the games at a very low level, would it be possible to detect certain positions in the code (for example when the "danger" string sounds) from outside the main executable and play a simple WAV file with another program? I think games do this all the time with the tracker modules, which are external.

Also, I have a problem when installing HeroQuest to HDD. I do the usual thing: copy the !HeroQuest application to a local folder, then overwrite the !Run script with F1019201 from the obey zip (renamed as !Run).
However, launching the installed !HeroQuest app after double-clicking on ADFFS results on this message:
"The disc drive is empty"
Press SPACE or click mouse to continue.
Any idea on what am I missing on the script?

Also, today's version seems to have broken CannonFodder. I get a black screen after the "Loading Cannon Fodder" text.
And Lemmings is broken too.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

HeroQuest needs the floppy mounted for the protection to work.

I'm away for the next week, but will look into new issues when I get back.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Ok! Have good week, Jon!