AutoVIDC extASM issues

Discuss AutoVIDC by Paul Vernon
JonAbbott

AutoVIDC extASM issues

Post by JonAbbott »

Did you up the latest module to the FTP site? I think I'm looking at a copy prior to your latest changes.
PaulV

Re: AutoVIDC extASM issues

Post by PaulV »

The copy on the server (AVIDC209.zip) is time stamped 19th May and was the most up to date version.

However I've just uploaded a new version (AVIDC209test.zip) (leaving the previous version on the server too) which builds to a module size of 7428 bytes with the FAST option enabled.

It's presenting the same issue as the previously uploaded version in that it will not build correctly without the FAST option being set.

Paul
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

If it doesn't already, can you up a compiled version of the module with:

Fast off
Shrink on
Only ADR/LDR on (can't remember the exact name)

This is so I can do a quick binary comparison - if it comes out the same I'll know the issue is still there.
PaulV

Post by PaulV »

I've uploaded a zip file called latest. It contains the latest source and in the Module folder there are two builds of the module. One with fast enabled (AVIDCwrk) the other as requested (AVIDCbrk). The difference in file sizes for the two modules is now 72 bytes and they appear to have some actual differences as well as just extra bytes here and there too.

Paul
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I can see a problem in the make file:

SWI_Names doesn't have an ALIGN after it, so the SWI entry point isn't word aligned.
SWI_Table needs to move outside of the SWItable area as its readonly.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Incidentally, if you're on a quest for bytes, you could recode SWI_Table along the lines of:

Code: Select all

.AutoVIDC_SWI
 ADR		R12, _SWI_jump_table
 CMP		R11, #(_SWI_jump_table_end - _SWI_jump_table - 4) / 4
 ADDLS	PC, R12, R11, LSL #2
 TEQ		PC, PC
 MOVEQ	PC, R14
 MOVS	PC, R14

._SWI_jump_table
 B	AutoVIDC_SetClockSWI
 B	AutoVIDC_DelegateControlSWI
 B	AutoVIDC_IsDelegatedSWI
 B	AutoVIDC_IsOverClockingEnabledSWI
 B	AutoVIDC_ModeSyncPolaritySWI
 B	AutoVIDC_ReInitSWI
 B	AutoVIDC_ClockAvailableSWI
 ._SWI_jump_table_end
In SWI_Funcs there's a TEMP R10-R12 at the top, but no LOCK to release them. If this is to be used for the whole file, you should really stack/unstack R10-R12 on every entry / exit. You don't actually need the TEMP as there are no auto-expansions that require it, I'd advise removing TEMP R10-R12 completely.
PaulV

Post by PaulV »

JonAbbott wrote:I can see a problem in the make file:

SWI_Names doesn't have an ALIGN after it, so the SWI entry point isn't word aligned.
But it does in the make file. I'm now officially confused! Were you looking in the file itself?
JonAbbott wrote:SWI_Table needs to move outside of the SWItable area as its readonly.
Ok.
JonAbbott wrote:In SWI_Funcs there's a TEMP R10-R12 at the top, but no LOCK to release them.
There is. The first function in there is quite a long function as it handles setting the clock for all three hardware types. The LOCK is at the bottom of that function.

I thought that as that function was using STR to store things in ZP after setting the hardware then it ideally needed to use TEMP/LOCK?
JonAbbott wrote:Incidentally, if you're on a quest for bytes, you could recode SWI_Table along the lines of...
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go :D

Paul
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

You can remove all the TEMP/LOCK from cmdEntry as they're not required, there's no auto-expansion that requires a temporary register.

For your byte quest, I spotted the following optimizations:

cmdEntry
For 4 bytes ... in .enableOC change:

ADR R0,enhancerlist
ADD R0, R0, #12
to:

ADR R0,enhancerlist + 12
SWI_Funcs
For 4 bytes ... in ._SetAuxClock_SWI change:

MOV R6, #4
MUL R6,R0,R6
to:

MOV R6,R0,LSL#2
You could also reuse the SWI exit function to save 8 bytes each time. So one function has:

.SWI_exit
TEQ PC, PC
MOVEQ PC, R14
MOVS PC, R14
and the rest all use:

B SWI_exit
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

PaulV wrote:But it does in the make file. I'm now officially confused! Were you looking in the file itself?
I must have an old make file.
PaulV wrote:I thought that as that function was using STR to store things in ZP after setting the hardware then it ideally needed to use TEMP/LOCK?
Turn Summary off in the extASM options, you'll see where you need TEMP/LOCK as it will say "Auto-expansion, using stacked register (Load/Store), 12 bytes"
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Some other bytes you can get back:

SWI_Funcs
In .get_NextClocktoCheck change:

ADD R2, R2,#4
LDR R1,[R2]
to:

LDR R1,[R2,#4]!
After making all the changes I've mentioned and removing all TEMP/LOCK (none were required) it takes 23 passes (11 with shrink off) to compile and comes out at 7272 bytes. I've put a copy on the FTP site.

How do I test it? What am I looking to see broken?