ADFFS 2.80 public beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.80 public beta

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm If I boot while pressing SHIFT, I get into the desktop.
You should end up at the Supervisor * prompt if you hold SHIFT at power-on. If you get to the WIMP the keyboard possibly hasn't been detected and its run the main boot sequence.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

JonAbbott wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm
Vanfanel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm If I boot while pressing SHIFT, I get into the desktop.
You should end up at the Supervisor * prompt if you hold SHIFT at power-on. If you get to the WIMP the keyboard possibly hasn't been detected and its run the main boot sequence.
I guess the problem is that SHIFT is being ignored because I use a wireless keyboard which is not initialized until it's too late.
So, can you please tell me what command can I run to disable(and re-enable) boot sequence permanently?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:54 pm I guess the problem is that SHIFT is being ignored because I use a wireless keyboard which is not initialized until it's too late.
That would be the reason.

Use *OPT 4,0 to prevent the boot sequence and *OPT 4,2 to enable it - make sure you're on the correct filesystem.

Could you possibly retest all the titles showing issues via this method, ensure you run !ADFFS and the the game from the command-line - that rules out all additional software, including the Wimp.

I have a Pi4 on back-order, but it keeps getting pushed back. Its going to be some time before I can perform any Pi4 specific tests.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon:

I was able to boot directly in SUPERVISOR mode after doing: *OPT 4,0

Then I did:

$.Apps.Games.!ADFFSbeta
$.Apps.Games.!Diggers

And got this: Bad vector release (Error number &1A1)

If I retry, the system hangs.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? No games seem to work like this.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'm seeing the same issue with Diggers, so will investigate.

Sorry, I completely forgot video remapping doesn't work if the Wimp isn't active - which is why the other games are not working. I'll see if I can resolve that, so we can test without the Wimp.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Could you try adding the following to the top of !Diggers.!Run and then run it from the desktop as you would do normally:

Code: Select all

ECHO <22><13>
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

JonAbbott wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 pm Could you try adding the following to the top of !Diggers.!Run and then run it from the desktop as you would do normally:

Code: Select all

ECHO <22><13>
Of course.
That seems to fix the intro!
What does that mean??
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ADFFS 2.80m now available in the OP. ADFFS is no longer reliant on the Wimp to reduce Appspace. When the JIT is used outside of the Wimp, it will deallocate IOC chipset memory areas on machines that have >32MB RAM. This allows ADFFS to be used from Supervisor without a !Boot executing.
Vanfanel wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:16 am What does that mean??
There appears to be a problem when switching directly to a bespoke screen mode under certain circumstances. I was hoping to see the issue occur when you tried *DigModeOn, but that seemed to work correctly so I'm not sure why that would work but doesn't when you run the game from the Wimp.

Its possibly related to how the GraphicsV driver is switched over to ADFFS during the mode change process. From your screenshot it looks like it switched to MODE 13 but failed to then set the VIDC parameters.

I've resolved the dependency on the Wimp, so please retry the games with issues without !Boot executing, to confirm you see the same issues. I've not updated the Beta build yet, so please grab the latest version from the OP.

EDIT: I think I've tracked the Diggers issue to a null reference bug in Diggers. Trying replacing it's !Run with the contents of !ADFFS.obey.F1011501 from ADFFS 2.80m and see if the Intro then works correctly.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Replacing it's !Run with the contents of !ADFFS.obey.F1011501 from ADFFS 2.80m, the intro and the game seem to work perfectly well.

Maybe the release needs a repack now? :)

Also, would 2.80m work when booting in SUPERVISOR mode now?
EDIT: Yes! I tried and games work when booting in SUPERVISOR mode now with 2.80m!

EDIT2: LastNinja fails to boot in WIMP mode (Attempt to use badly nested error handler, or corrupt R13) but works perfectly when launched in SUPERVISOR mode.
Also, in SUPERVISOR mode, the game quits without any problems.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 pm @Jon: Replacing it's !Run with the contents of !ADFFS.obey.F1011501 from ADFFS 2.80m, the intro and the game seem to work perfectly well.

Maybe the release needs a repack now? :)
Now I know its a bug in the game, I'll update the package.
Vanfanel wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 pm Last Ninja fails to boot in WIMP mode (Attempt to use badly nested error handler, or corrupt R13) but works perfectly when launched in SUPERVISOR mode.
Also, in SUPERVISOR mode, the game quits without any problems.
That rules out Pi4 issues at least. I suspect more game bugs.