JASPP and multi discs using a Mac keyboard

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
sassquad

JASPP and multi discs using a Mac keyboard

Post by sassquad »

Hi Jon,

Firstly, thank you for this project. It's a fantastic resource!

I've had some success in using ADFFS on Arculator 2.1 (behaving as an 8mb A3000, with RISC OS 3.11 installed), running on Windows 10, using Parallels Software. I'm using a 2014 iMac with Big Sur (Mac OS 11) installed. This means I'm using an iMac keyboard.

I've hit a wall with games such as Cataclysm, as I am not sure if the Ctrl-Shift-F2 combination works, when it asks for Disc 2. Both floppy images are named accordingly, I renamed them Cataclysm 1 and Cataclysm 2 respectively, in the same hard disc folder. So they should be in sequence.

When I click on ADFFS, I double click the !Cataclysm icon, and the title screen appears. At this point, I press Spacebar, and it asks for disc 2. At this point, I cannot seem to get anything to happen to get beyond this step.

If you can help, that would be great. Cataclysm has some protection nastiness, so I can't extract it to the hard disc.

I look forward to your assistance!

Kind regards
Stephen Scott
sassquad

Re: JASPP and multi discs using a Mac keyboard

Post by sassquad »

Sorry Jon,

I finally figured out the problem. If anyone is using Windows via Parallels and an iMac keyboard, you have to create a keyboard mapping to mimic the effect of Ctrl-Shift-function keys.

Open the Parallels Desktop Configuration window, select the Shortcuts tab, and ensure your Windows 10 virtual machine is selected. You'll see the various keyboard shortcuts on the right hand side of the panel. The Profile dropdown should be set to 'Windows'.

If you click the little + icon in the bottom left corner, you can create a new shortcut.

In the 'From' row, select Shift and Ctrl, and enter '2'
In the 'To' row, select Shift and Ctrl, but select F2 from the dropdown on the right hand side.

You don't need to restart your virtual machine for this shortcut to take effect.

When I re-ran Cataclysm like before, I pressed Ctrl-Shift-2 which mimicked the equivalent of Ctrl-Shift-F2, and disc 2 booted successfully.

I can now play a game I've not been able to enjoy for nearly 30 years. Among many others. I'm very excited now!

Hope this helps anyone else in the same or similar boat!

Kind regards
Stephen Scott
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'm glad you figured that out, as I would not have had a clue! Thank you for posting the solution.
sassquad

Post by sassquad »

Thanks Jon, I've made a blogpost about it, mainly for my memory, as it's too convoluted to remember in 6 months time!

https://sascott.blogspot.com/2021/09/us ... ithin.html

Stephen