Lost - Screen Scaling on Raspberry Pi

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
int19

Lost - Screen Scaling on Raspberry Pi

Post by int19 »

Hopefully this is the most suitable place for questions - if not please let me know.

Also, thank you for all the effort that goes into this project!

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi 4 for the exclusive task of running RISC OS. I don't have a lot of experience with either RISC OS or APFFS, but am having some problems with graphics modes that are incompatible with my LCD monitor. Essentially the monitor complains that it doesn't support 16.1khz/50hz.

I installed ADFS and a few games (eg Lemmings) via PackMan. However, when I launch them, my monitor complains about the invalid resolution. I've also tried downloading images directly, mounting them and using the ADFFS Boot from Floppy option, with the same outcome.

I've tried adding disable_mode_changes in CMDLINE/TXT, which seems to take effect (because I can't change modes), but when running a game, the mode still seems to change. I've also tried hard-setting my HDMI mode and disabling EDID in the Raspberry Pi configuration.

The only game I've manage to get to work so far was SimCity 2000, which only works if I have sound disabled. If I enable sound, the music plays properly, but never proceeds past the splash screen.

I've also confirmed that I get the exact same behaviour on a Raspberry Pi 3B. Installing AnyMode also doesn't help.

Any suggestions? I'm a bit at a loss of where to go next.

Thanks!
richw

Re: Lost - Screen Scaling on Raspberry Pi

Post by richw »

What version of RISC OS are you using?

Last time I followed the steps in the ADFFS release thread, it 'just worked' as they say!
int19

Post by int19 »

It was 100% user error: command/txt should have all arguments on one line. I had them on multiple lines.

From the docs:
The important thing to remember is that cmdline.txt contains a command line. Only the first line of the file is read, so parameters must be space separated on the first line. For example:
Putting the disable_gamma and disable_mode_changes parameters on the same line fixed the problem! I'm super excited.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Thanks for the compliment, support and feedback. I’ve now updated the ADFFS release notes to mention CMDLINE requiring spaces.

I have yet to purchase a Pi4 to test ADFFS and game releases, so if you notice any oddities between your Pi3 and Pi4 please provide feedback.