Thundermonk HELP!

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Nickcantan

Thundermonk HELP!

Post by Nickcantan »

I have thundermonk for my old Acorn but that’s just packed up and thought instead of investing in a new one that I can get it to work on my IMac or laptop PC.

First off is this possible?

And if so I need the most simplest of instructions as I’m One of the most untechnical person on this planet!

For any fans of thundermonk this may interest you.

I’ve been tackling the game on and off since I was a child in 1990. I managed to get to level 4 and still can but can only get to what I think is half way through level 4. After 30 years of getting no further I managed to get hold of the game creators who said the following to me:

Hi, I'm sorry that I haven't replied in the past. A very busy schedule. But I was amazed to hear from you and that something I created so long ago is remebered to this day; I thought I was the only one! Being something just I created, all levels were crafted to challenge myself playing over a good many months as development progressed. I do remember getting to the last corner on the 4th level once in a competition, but that took some real effort to repeatedly go back to the beginnings for any enegery boosts. Crossing the entire level many times to- and fro- going back for eneergy. I'm not sure that I've done it. I don't even remember what should happen at the end - sorry! I lost the source to Thundermonk may years ago in house moves etc. but more recently I've managed to show my children using online copies and the Raspberry Pi emulator (not that they thought anything of it 😉. Thank you kindly for your contact. And please don't feel frustrated that you didn't finish it - it's probably impossible! My apologies. Kind Regards Stephen Minifie
JonAbbott

Re: Thundermonk HELP!

Post by JonAbbott »

Nickcantan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 pm I have thundermonk for my old Acorn but that’s just packed up and thought instead of investing in a new one that I can get it to work on my IMac or laptop PC.

First off is this possible?
Of course, you'll probably want to download Arculator for PC. For Mac it's not so simple as you'd have to compile your own version.

Although it's for the older version of Arculator, there's a guide in this post which might help once you have Arculator installed, I believe it covers extracting ADFFS.

In short. Install Arculator, extract ADFFS, load the Thundermonk floppy image from here and then select Boot floppy from the ADFFS filer.
Nickcantan

Re: Thundermonk HELP!

Post by Nickcantan »

Thank you for your help!

I’ve downloaded Arculator but when I try and open Thundermonk it says “No ROMs available. Arculator needs at least one ROM set present to run”.

Help! I’m not technical! :D