RO 3.11 e-format1600, e-format800 & USBJoystick filename length issues.

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
whoozzem

RO 3.11 e-format1600, e-format800 & USBJoystick filename length issues.

Post by whoozzem »

Hi,
So as you may have seen I'd just finished typing up a tutorial on how to get ADFFS on to a non-networked Acorn (in my case an A4000) and not expecting any problems I typed up the final steps before attempting them myself :mrgreen:

However I've hit a snag in my own instructions, to get the files copied I had to rename e-format1600/800 and USBJoystick and felt I'd have no problem renaming them on the other end, and that's where I've hit a snag because RO3.11 will only let me have a filename length of 10 letters so I now have, e-format80, e-format16 and USBJoystic.

How can I rename them / modify ADFFS to permit the shortened filenames so that the program will work correctly? I haven't actually tried running it yet because of the filenames problems.

Thanks.
JonAbbott

Re: RO 3.11 e-format1600, e-format800 & USBJoystick filename length issues.

Post by JonAbbott »

The e-format files are an oversight on my part, I'll shorten them in the next release. You only need them if you're imaging E format floppies where there's no bundled recording file.

USBJoystick is only required for machines with USB, it can be safely removed on older machines.
whoozzem

Post by whoozzem »

Thanks for that, on the subject of recording files I've got the problem on my A4000 that on trying to select a recording file to image with, the list is only one character long and only shows the alphabet because of this. I can click the blank spaces and it does fill in the title as if I were clicking a file. So basically it looks like this (with the dots representing large white space gaps between the letters):

A|s|
..|c|
B|r|
..|o|
C|l|
..|l|
D|b|
..|a|
E|r|
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

You need to update your !Boot sequence. I don't recall which Module update fixed this bug, possibly the Window Manager (ie Wimp)
whoozzem

Post by whoozzem »

I didn't actually have a boot sequence as it was a new drive, so after some Red Squirrel compressing, floppy disk transferring I managed to get UniBoot 3.10x from the Risc OS FTP over to my A4000, but unfortunately the same problem occurs.

I did however manage to guess where in the empty list the game I was trying to image (Drifter) was and to my delight got it after a few attempts.

The first attempt at imaging failed as I'd neglected to drag the JFD icon to the harddisk which led to the error: "Protected Disc at line 88" (I had already pointed ADFFS to the e-format80 file since it was looking for 800).

After sorting that out the imaging process went through all the read sectors but then I was then hit with "Compression error (-2)" after it had proceded to read "compressing headers 0%"

After clicking to confirm the error the imaging window closed (icon still remained in the icon bar) and I was left with a file "Drifter (1" of type Data in the save location.

Is that a valid output file or did something go horribly wrong for me and if so how can I solve it?

Thanks.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

whoozzem wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:13 pm I didn't actually have a boot sequence as it was a new drive, so after some Red Squirrel compressing, floppy disk transferring I managed to get UniBoot 3.10x from the Risc OS FTP over to my A4000, but unfortunately the same problem occurs.
There's many versions of UniBoot and most either aren't up to date or contain Modules from the ROL branch of RISC OS. I've used UniBoot2 on my test machines so you could try that. You'll also want to grab the latest System resources from ROOL as that will contain the most recent Module updates - probably less than a week old.

This issue has been raised previously over on StarDot, if it's any help.
whoozzem wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:13 pm I did however manage to guess where in the empty list the game I was trying to image (Drifter) was and to my delight got it after a few attempts.
You can reduce the list down by typing the first few characters of the game, before clicking on the drop-down.
whoozzem wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:13 pm I had already pointed ADFFS to the e-format80 file since it was looking for 800
Edit !ADFFS.imaging.imageJFD and change the two references to e-format800 / 1600 to your shortened filenames, you can then select the format in the drop-down once you've updated the Wimp Module.
whoozzem wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:13 pm After sorting that out the imaging process went through all the read sectors but then I was then hit with "Compression error (-2)" after it had proceded to read "compressing headers 0%"
The only time I've seen that error, is when the ROL version of ZLib is loaded which doesn't support RFC 1952. Check the version of UniBoot you're using doesn't contain ZLib.

ZLib error -2 means the compression stream is corrupt.

Mount a JFD floppy image and test imaging that until you get it working - it will be a lot quicker and save your floppies.
whoozzem

Post by whoozzem »

I haven't yet tried with Uniboot2.

I have however merged the new ROOL System into the current Uniboot (made no difference to the missing text as an aside) and modified the imagingJFD basic file to the shortened filenames and installed SparkFS as when I read your instructions I misread it as SparkPlug which I knew I already had installed.

I did try your suggestion of using a JFD file for test imaging however when I try with a JFD file (lemmings) I cant launch the jfd imaging process as it says I need 1900kb of ram (though apparently there's 2300kb of free application memory available). My A4000 has the maximum 4mb of RAM.

Trying Drifter again, I did notice now when selecting a file it chooses an imaging file which I don't remember it doing before when selecting it from the list.

However the imaging process still resulted in the same ZLib error, and I did check and the only ZLib I could find is within ADFFS itself. Would this error occur if the disk has bad sectors (which it does according to the output, three red blocks in the first 20 or so blocks on read).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

whoozzem wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:04 am when I try with a JFD file (lemmings) I cant launch the jfd imaging process as it says I need 1900kb of ram (though apparently there's 2300kb of free application memory available). My A4000 has the maximum 4mb of RAM.
Try a smaller file, such as Jet Fighter as things are tight with 4MB RAM. As you're imaging 800K floppies, you can also reduce the WimpSlot in !ADFFS.imageJFD to:

Code: Select all

WimpSlot -min 1100K -max 1100K
whoozzem wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:04 am the imaging process still resulted in the same ZLib error, and I did check and the only ZLib I could find is within ADFFS itself. Would this error occur if the disk has bad sectors (which it does according to the output, three red blocks in the first 20 or so blocks on read).
Please post the output from *HELP Modules with ADFFS loaded, so I can check the versions of Modules currently running.
whoozzem

Post by whoozzem »

Update:
I have edited the wimp min/max, downloaded jetfighter for a test image and have also now got UBoot2 over to the Acorn, and merged in yesterdays downloaded System merge from the ROOL site.

However at the point in the instructions where it tells you to type OPT 4 2 I get the message:
FileCore does not understand this disc

and after a reboot, the message changes to "Drive Empty" and I thought I may have heard the floppy disk drive check for a disk.

I don't know how to capture the output from *Help modules to something I can transfer to a forum post but they are all from 1989, 1991 and 1992 except:
FPEmulator 12 Nov. 2019
C Library 2005
ImageFSFix & ArcFSMemMan 15 Mar. 2003
MimeMap 15 Apr. 2016
SparkFS, Spark & Tar 2nd Sep. 2012
Zip 10th Jun. 2012
CallASWI 20th Dec. 2002
ZLib 30th Mar. 2012
AutoVIDC 8th Dec. 2013
ADFFS 1st Mar. 2019
MemAlloc 24th Oct. 2012
LCDGameModes 4th May 2013
ADFFSFiler 30th Jan. 2019

That is presuming break was the correct way to get it to scroll to the next section of the list and there weren't hundreds of more entries after ADFFSFiler since no other keyboard key would show any further output other than break.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Use pipe to output to a text file:

*HELP Modules { >$.output }

*OPT 4 2 - you need to have the HD selected before setting that. It enables booting from the drive.

You'll also need to configure the boot drive, which I think is:

*CONFIGURE DRIVE 4
*CONFIGURE FileSystem ADFS