Chuck Rock (again)

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
PaulV

Chuck Rock (again)

Post by PaulV »

I know I've mentioned this before but I've figured something out which may help in debugging this...

Essentially, when I boot with Uniboot and try to run Chuck Rock, it hangs on the Krisalis screen more often than not.

However, I have found a way to ensure that it does not hang. This is what I do.

1. Choose Boot Floppy
2. Wait for the supervisor prompt to disappear
3. Press and hold the space bar
4. When the text appears, release the space bar.
5. Choose to skip the introduction.

Chuck Rock then works every time. If you don't skip the introduction, it hangs on any screen displaying text.

Also, if I boot without Uniboot, it doesn't hang on the Krisalis screen instead it hangs when a text screen appears as above.

Paul
JonAbbott

Re: Chuck Rock (again)

Post by JonAbbott »

I have noticed that if you skip the intro too quickly it hangs, I usually wait for the text and press SPACE a second or so later...it's never hung that way. If you're in a rush and keep hitting SPACE it invariably hangs.
PaulV

Post by PaulV »

LOL, that's completely the opposite of my experience.

In an attempt to do some more testing, I updated the !System folder this morning with the one on the ROOL site for older machines... It just killed my boot sequence and now Uniboot hangs before getting to the desktop. Sigh. I'll have to roll it all back and add in the modules one by one until it breaks...

Paul
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I've just had a crash which turned out to be LongFiles...unrelated but worth noting. It sometimes crashes after a soft boot (CTRL-SHIFT-F12 / Restart)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

What machine are you testing on? I'll see if I get the same problem.

EDIT: I've tried the A440/1 and the A4000 several times and haven't managed to get Chuck Rock to hang - yet.
PaulV

Post by PaulV »

It's my A410/1 with 4MB RAM, an ARM3 processor and a WE VIDC Enhancer fitted.

I've managed to upgrade my !System folder. Everything is stable now at least... the WindowManager module (v5.xx) in the ROOL distro hangs my machine so I rolled that back to 3.98. Also one of the scripts attempts to RMLoad the Toolbox modules during the boot sequence. This crashes terribly so I removed all the related RMLoad's from the !Run script. Everything else seems to be working just fine now.

In fact, my random hang when RMLoad'ing AutoVIDC appears to have disappeared too... SharedCLibrary is version v5.77 and the FPEmulator is now v4.32 :D

Chuck Rock was not affected :(

Paul
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Could it be hardware related...the WE VIDC Enhancer for example? Or a podule?

You could try zipping up the !System folder and drop it into an emulator to quickly rule out hardware.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Just done some testing on the A4000 simply booting it, pressing F12 and leaving it,

With UniBoot the machine will lock solid after 5 minutes
Without UniBoot it works fine
With UniBoot and shelling out of the desktop locks solid after 5 minutes

I've ruled out the following modules:
AUNmsgs
BootNet
CallASWI
CMOSLock
CMOSUtils
EtherH
Internet
LongFiles
Resolver
SharedCLibrary
VProtect

Culprit: NetTime
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

It looks like NetTime is doing something every 5 mins that locks the machine. Is this a UniBoot module, or did I add it? I'm not sure and will need to check.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

Isn't NetTime what the R Pi uses in place of a RTC? I expect it's synchronising your RTC to a net server every 5 minutes... Do you have a network card - that might be triggering it to load. I expect, however, it's just ended up in the wrong place in UniBoot.

...I don't use UniBoot...