Chuck Rock (again)

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Phlamethrower

Re: Chuck Rock (again)

Post by Phlamethrower »

The amu_machine alias is set up by Builder when you select a build environment. But that won't help you much, as it's used to invoke 'amu', Acorn's version of 'make' that comes with Norcroft. I don't think I was very clear earlier, but if you're trying to build any of ROOL's sources without Norcroft then you'll be facing a bit of an uphill battle. Although there is technically support for using different compilers, if you're building on RISC OS then it's currently assumed that you're going to be using Norcroft. And if you were to try building on another platform you'd first have to build all the tools the build system uses!

Also after checking the official zlib sources it looks lie I was a bit wrong when I said it would build out of the box using GCC. The makefile is generated by a configure script, so you'll either have to build somewhere which has configure available (e.g. set up the GCCSDK cross compiler on a Linux machine) or write your own makefile (not hard - there aren't any special compiler flags needed, so you just need to list all the files. See the makefile for ROOL's zlib library to see which source files need compiling). zconf.h also seems to be processed by configure, although I can't remember if there's anything important which needs changing from the defaults (you could probably diff it against the one in ROOL's zlib)

Of course, if you want to stick with trying to build ROOL's zlib & ZLib, you could try rewriting the makefiles to use GCC and then see how much is broken. Apart from DebugLib, which can easily be removed by removing all the debug code, I don't think there's anything significant that would stop you from building using GCC once you've fixed up a few #include's and rewritten the makefiles.