Problem with imaging

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
xlcus

Problem with imaging

Post by xlcus »

Hi,

I'm trying to make an image of Zarch on an A3020 with !ADFFS 2.64. The disk itself appears to be okay (Can load and play the game normally), but after executing the *ADFRecord adfs::4.$.Fiiiiidd command, when I try to copy the files to the hard drive, the machine appears to lock with the floppy light on, and no head movement. I've tried both copying using the filer, and from the command line. I've also tried !ADFFS 2.63. I'm probably doing something silly, or have forgotten to do something, but I can't figure out what!

The A3020 has 4 meg of ram, IDE disk and a network card (If that makes any difference).
JonAbbott

Re: Problem with imaging

Post by JonAbbott »

It's nothing you've done, I forgot to turn off a debug feature that will cause a lock if the recording file is created on another ADFS drive.

I think it's corrected in the current ADFFS 2.65 public build. If not, I'm just fixing another lock that occurs on 1772 based machines when a disc error occurs and will then post the latest build. Hopefully later today if I can quickly find the cause of the lock.

You don't actually need to create a recording file for Zarch, ADFFS has one built in. Just ensure you load SparkFS before using "Image floppt\Image as JFD" and select Zarch in the title drop-down list (it takes a while to open on an Archimedes, 20+ seconds sometimes)
xlcus

Post by xlcus »

Ah, I guess I misunderstood what a recording file was then. I thought it was an actual data dump of the disk. Is it more like just a list of sectors to read? And some sort of information about protected sectors?

I'll give the latest 2.65 version a try. Thank you for all your hard work! :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

xlcus wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 pm Ah, I guess I misunderstood what a recording file was then. I thought it was an actual data dump of the disk. Is it more like just a list of sectors to read? And some sort of information about protected sectors?
It's a record of all ADFS_DiscOp SWI calls whilst it's recording. That's then turned into a list of sectors and disk geometry by the JFD imager. I should probably add more explanation in the !Help and get on with recording a "how to" video.

Recordings of games that have already been archived are included with ADFFS, so for most it's just a case of inserting the floppy, starting the JFD imager and selecting the title and floppy number if there's more than one in the set. Just make sure SparkFS is loaded as I've yet to get around to coding generic ZIP support.
xlcus

Post by xlcus »

JonAbbott wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:29 am It's nothing you've done, I forgot to turn off a debug feature that will cause a lock if the recording file is created on another ADFS drive.
I think it's corrected in the current ADFFS 2.65 public build. If not, I'm just fixing another lock that occurs on 1772 based machines when a disc error occurs and will then post the latest build.
Thanks Jon. I can confirm that version 2.65k fixed my imaging issue, and I now have a fresh JFD of my Zarch disk :)
JonAbbott wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:29 amselect Zarch in the title drop-down list (it takes a while to open on an Archimedes, 20+ seconds sometimes)
Is this a known issue? (See attachment) The menu gets created very thinly, and you can't see any of the text. You can select the items though, and I found Zarch by trial and error! :) It does it in both 2.65k and 2.64 on the A3020 (But runs fine on RPCEmu)
Attachments
IMG_20180512_220105.jpg
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

xlcus wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:06 pm Is this a known issue? (See attachment) The menu gets created very thinly, and you can't see any of the text. You can select the items though, and I found Zarch by trial and error! :) It does it in both 2.65k and 2.64 on the A3020 (But runs fine on RPCEmu)
It should fill the screen, what MODE is your desktop using? I'll see if I can reproduce the issue.
xlcus

Post by xlcus »

JonAbbott wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 am It should fill the screen, what MODE is your desktop using? I'll see if I can reproduce the issue.
Mode 31, though I've tried selecting a few different modes (e.g. Mode 12) before starting !ADFFS and get the same issue.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Not MODE related then, what version of the WindowManager Module are you using?

If you do a SHIFT-Boot so the normal boot sequence doesn't run, does the problem remain?

The Wimp doesn't give any control over the size of menus, all you can do programmatically is give an X,Y to open it at and the Wimp decides on the size. My guess is that the Wimp is getting the size correct, but isn't showing the menu entries for some reason.
xlcus

Post by xlcus »

JonAbbott wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 pm Not MODE related then, what version of the WindowManager Module are you using?
It's 3.16
JonAbbott wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 pmIf you do a SHIFT-Boot so the normal boot sequence doesn't run, does the problem remain?
I don't have a !Boot sequence. The hard drive has the old style !System/!Scrap/!Fonts in the root. I've even tried holding down Ctrl when opening the hard drive's root window to make sure nothing else runs, but to no avail.
xlcus

Post by xlcus »

Okay, I've managed to get a version of the universal !Boot that works on the machine, and it appears to have fixed the issue. Boot up time is now about 5 times longer, but at least I can see the menu now! :)