ADFFS 2.65 public beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS 2.65 public beta

Post by JonAbbott »

I looked through the machine code for both Drop Ship and Man at Arms and could find no code that touched any of the Joystick interfaces, I think we have to conclude they don't support them despite the Joystick menu option.

I had a quick look at Nevryon last night, there's a strange bit of code that's called before the game starts, that disables the Joystick if the fire button isn't being held. It's possible this is the issue, although I've yet to look through the machine code to check it does actually contain the relevant Joystick code.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:21 am there's a strange bit of code that's called before the game starts, that disables the Joystick if the fire button isn't being held. It's possible this is the issue
I got that wrong, Nevryon is disabling the Joystick if there's any movement or the fire button is held when you load the game. I believe the code is supposed to check if there's an RTFM Joystick interface, but wasn't coded as such.

The fix is to edit !Nevryon.Nevryon and change line 1920 so it leaves the Joystick enabled:

Code: Select all

1920 ]:NEXT:U%=1
You can then start the game when prompted, by pressing Fire on the Joystick. I'll fix this in the boot script.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Having picked the machine code apart today, Drop Ship and Man at Arms both use the same code for both Mouse and Joystick, so they must only support the Voltmace Mouse Eliminator. ie They don't support Joysticks at all, as Voltmace is a Mouse in Joystick guise!

The only one now left to figure out is Saloon Cars.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I have updated to latest OBEY, and now Nevryon won't run from floppy images:

"File !NERVRYON.NEVSOUND not found at line 70"

Also, in Pacmania (The Learning Curve version), if I push the joystick button on the tittle screen, first stage is automatically selected, no way to select a different stage. That does not happen without joystick. Other than that, joystick works fine in-game.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:41 pm I have updated to latest OBEY, and now Nevryon won't run from floppy images:
See if it works with today's obey.zip
Vanfanel wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:41 pm Pacmania (The Learning Curve version), if I push the joystick button on the tittle screen, first stage is automatically selected, no way to select a different stage.
Possibly a timing issue or its not doing a debounce, I'll take a look.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@jon: Yes, Nevryon works again with today's obey, but joystick is not working (I am not manually changing the basic manually file because you said you would patch the joystick problem using the obey instead).
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am Nevryon works again with today's obey, but joystick is not working (I am not manually changing the basic manually file because you said you would patch the joystick problem using the obey instead).
It is patched, but there must be another issue, I'll test it again.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 pm
Vanfanel wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:41 pm Pacmania (The Learning Curve version), if I push the joystick button on the tittle screen, first stage is automatically selected, no way to select a different stage.
Possibly a timing issue or its not doing a debounce, I'll take a look.
The code isn't doing a debounce on the fire button, use "1" on the keyboard to start a game, then you can select the level.
Vanfanel wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am Nevryon works again with today's obey, but joystick is not working (I am not manually changing the basic manually file because you said you would patch the joystick problem using the obey instead).
It appears to work correctly, are you using the fire button to start the game when it prompts "PRESS FIRE TO START"?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

For those with access, the following are available on the dev site:
  • 2.65j Modules
  • Updated obey.zip
  • Floppy images of Play it Again Sam 3
You've probably already got all the games on PiAS3 except Letrouve (video), which is on disk 2 and supports Joysticks.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

For those with access, the following are available on the dev site:
  • Updated obey.zip
  • Floppy image of Crisis (video)
Crisis didn't include any frame regulation, so I've patched it in the boot script to match the speed on an 8MHz ARM2.