ADFFS 2.65 public beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.65 public beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I have got to disable the blitter with the new modules (mouse cursor would not move, so it was disabled in fact).
However, audio distortion was still present with the blitter disabled.
One more note on the distortion: in The Dungeon tittle music, channels seem to go on an off too. You may have to use earphones to hear it.

Also, SR2000 "original version" now works with today's obey, but won't allow me to activate music, so I can't do a perfect comparision against the SA version, however I didn't hear any sound effects distortion on the "original" version while fx distortions are noticeable on the SA version.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm audio distortion was still present with the blitter disabled.
Not the blitter then. The only thing they have in common is they're in BASIC when on the menu.
Vanfanel wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 pm Also, SR2000 "original version" now works with today's obey, but won't allow me to activate music
Just keep clicking on the "Menu Music" option, it will eventually stay on...it's not doing a debounce so toggles way too quick. If you install it to HD, you can save the settings so its on by default.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: It doesn't matter how much I click or how fast, music option never changes. Same happens with the 1MB mode, it does not move into 2MB. I believe it's not only the debouncing but the game is not detecting enough memory (my theory, I could be wrong).

Anyway, at least without music, original SR2000 does not show distortion that I can hear.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:10 pm Not the blitter then. The only thing they have in common is they're in BASIC when on the menu.
They also have ExSound in common. The boot scripts for Stunt Racer 2000 load the 32bit version. The Dungeon is still using the original 26bit version, but I don't think it has any fundamental issues that could cause sound issues.

The other thing I've noticed is BASIC is generating 29 aborts for every command issued - and I've no idea why. It shouldn't be generating any aborts. As a result of this, both Stunt Racer 2000 and The Dungeon are generating 5m Aborts/sec on a Pi3 :o which may well have an effect on sound.

EDIT: Seems I'd forgotten I'd moved the instruction trace to &7000 - it was that triggering most of the aborts, not BASIC. Having now moved it back to high memory, BASIC is generating a lot less aborts but it's still over 1m/sec.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 pm BASIC is generating a lot less aborts but it's still over 1m/sec.
Try replacing !ADFFS.extras.BASIC26 with the version on the dev site (same place as the Modules), see if that fixes the audio issue. I've modified BASIC so it doesn't use it's variable space for code, which has stopped the 1m/sec aborts it was generating in the game menus.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Replacing the BASIC26 module HAD a great effect!
-"The Dungeon" tittle screen does NOT show any more distortion on the PI3. Great!
-"SR2000 SA": no more distortion on menu music, but if you let the demo mode run, you can hear some occasional distortion once in a while. It's clearly audible.

But you are on the right path with the BASIC module, it seems! (Maybe you should revert video priority to it's original state as that wasn't the issue to begin with?)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm -"SR2000 SA": no more distortion on menu music, but if you let the demo mode run, you can hear some occasional distortion once in a while. It's clearly audible.
I can't get the SA version to run under ADFFS when in debug mode so I can't see what it's doing. I presume the original doesn't behave in the same way, so it's possibly a change for SA that's not optimal, such as performing a full cache flush instead of a region of self-modifying code.
Vanfanel wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm you should revert video priority to it's original state as that wasn't the issue to begin with
I've put the priority back and updated Modules on the dev site, if you would like to double check it.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Tested new modules, with the same exact result: no more distortions on "The Dungeon" tittle, no distortions at all on original SR2000 sound fx, and distortions on SR2000 SA version demo mode.
I really can't set music ON on the original SR2000, it won't let me change to 2MB mode, which is why it doesn't let me activate the music. I know it does not debounce, but it's NEVER changing to music mode ON, or 2MB mode, no matter how hard or how long I try.

I think BASIC26 was to blame: video priority is not to blame. But also SR2000 SA version is doing something wrong as you noted. I just need to activate the music on the original SR2000 to be totally sure.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 pm I really can't set music ON on the original SR2000, it won't let me change to 2MB mode, which is why it doesn't let me activate the music.
I've checked both booting and running from HD, both default to the 2MB version. I don't recall how the program determines if there's 2MB available, it's probably just looking at the Application space size, so you could try increasing the WimpSlot in the script to see if that makes any difference.

The only other check it could do is count memory pages, but that always results in 8MB under ADFFS.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:11 pm I really can't set music ON on the original SR2000, it won't let me change to 2MB mode, which is why it doesn't let me activate the music.
I've checked both booting and running from HD, both default to the 2MB version. I don't recall how the program determines if there's 2MB available, it's probably just looking at the Application space size, so you could try increasing the WimpSlot in the script to see if that makes any difference.

The only other check it could do is count memory pages, but that always results in 8MB under ADFFS.

EDIT: Just looked at the code, the deciding factor is the RAMFS size. If it's less than 476K you get the 1MB version. The boot script does set it to a min of 480K, but it doesn't appear to be setting it if RAMFS is currently 0K. Manually increase your RAM disc for the time being.