ADFFS 2.61 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.61 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@John: How comes Elite works again?? Didn't it need WIMP support?? Now it works!! Wow!
The only problem is that it hangs on CTRL+SHIFT+F12 quit. That being fixed, the game seems perfectly playable!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@John: How comes Elite works again?? Didn't it need WIMP support?? Now it works!! Wow!
The only problem is that it hangs on CTRL+SHIFT+F12 quit. That being fixed, the game seems perfectly playable!
Hmm, not sure how it's working, it wasn't when I accidentally fired it up a few weeks ago.

As its a WIMP app, CTRL-SHIFT-F12 will cause a lock up. You'd have to exit to the desktop (F12 I think), then exit the WIMP app to close it cleanly, that may also cause a lock/crash though as the sound Modules may crash when terminating.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: What was the parameter to set so ADFFS does not try to guess vsyncs/second and simply runs on whatever is being used? I have forgotten and we have written SO much in this forum that I can't find it...
It was stripped out long ago as ADFFS no longer counts VSync's. Frame swapping is done at physical VSync based on a PLL, so will always achieve 50Hz regardless of the hardware refresh rate. If the hardware is configured for 50hz, it will swap every VSync.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: That's not totally true. I found the enviroment variable in the docs:
set ADFFS$50Hz true

..and it DOES make a difference, even with 2.61 beta. Please don't remove it!. Whatever it's doing, it's doing very well: Pac-Mania has occasional hiccups without this (NOT frequent, but you know I can detect a lost/desync frame even if it happens every 2-3 minutes), and is PERFECT with it: no frame desync/lost to be seen.
It's no placebo effect, you can be sure of that :P
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:It's no placebo effect, you can be sure of that :P
Who'd have thought the placebo effect works on code :lol:

Updated Modules on the dev site, it was randomly corrupting memory when changing MODE and failed to set the VIDC20 vertical registers when a VIDC Type 3 MODE was requested. This resulted in no mouse cursor in Caverns, so no ship/score. A side-effect of fixing it, is the aspect ratio in Raw Power is now incorrect; I need to look at the resolution ratio and possibly tweak the code that works out when to line double.

In an attempt to resolve the random micro-stutter issue you're seeing in Pac-mania, I've shifted the PLL Vsync 50% out of phase with the physical VSync. I'm not certain this will resolve the issue, as you can never guarantee timer driven code will occur at the time you specify on RISCOS. I believe the issue is being caused by a delayed timer event, which is causing a frame to be dropped.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon:

I have been testing the new modules, and I see no more micro-stutters in Pac-mania, even without ADFFS$50Hz.
However, if the ADFFS$50Hz functionality is still there, *please* don't remove it (I haven't understood if it's there or not, but there was a perfectly visible difference with it). It can be VERY useful for future comparisions.

Also, I got a wireless mouse which seems to be affected by ADFFS: it works perfectly well until I enter an ADFFS game and then quit via CTRL+SHIFT+F12. Then, the mouse cursor moves by itself to the lower-right corner of the screen.
Note the game (whatever ADFFS game I load) is perfectly playable. The problem occurs only after I quit the game.
Native games like Zool, Twinworld, Doom... don't have this effect, only ADFFS game. Any ADFFS game, actually. Any idea of what ADFFS could be doing at exit that could be causing this?

PD: Elite has stopped workin again :(
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:I got a wireless mouse which seems to be affected by ADFFS: it works perfectly well until I enter an ADFFS game and then quit via CTRL+SHIFT+F12. Then, the mouse cursor moves by itself to the lower-right corner of the screen.

Any idea of what ADFFS could be doing at exit that could be causing this?
Everything is shut down when a game quits, try RMKill'ing the ADFFS Module when it occurs.

Lemmings 2 is broken, I thought I'd fixed the VIDC Type 3 issues, clearly not.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Could you conduct two further tests after a reboot and let me know if either causes the mouse to go rogue.
  1. F12, then enter:
    GOS
    GOARM3JIT 0
    MODE 13
    GOARM3JIT
    QUIT

Press ENTER to return to the desktop and check the mouse
  2. F12, then enter:
    GOARM3JIT 0
    GOARM3JIT

Press ENTER to the desktop and check the mouse
Vanfanel wrote:if the ADFFS$50Hz functionality is still there, *please* don't remove it (I haven't understood if it's there or not, but there was a perfectly visible difference with it).
It was removed during the 2.60 testing, as the PLL based Vsync will trigger a blit every Vsync. I'll look at what's involved in putting it back, its not as straightforward as you'd think.
Vanfanel wrote:Elite has stopped working again :(
It was probably working due to luck, the only way it could possibly work would be if there were no other programs running at the desktop to trigger task switching. The localised APCS-R Module is what's breaking it, or more specifically the lack of a 26bit RMA when at the desktop.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: About the mouse tests, I have tried:
1- Killing the ADFFS modules when the mouse has already gone havok:

Code: Select all

rmkill adffs
The mouse is sill havoc with this.

2- This sequence of commands:

F12, then enter:
GOS
GOARM3JIT 0
MODE 13
GOARM3JIT
QUIT
Press ENTER to return to the desktop and check the mouse
This sequence fails because "MODE" is not found (error &d6). That's with ADDFS loaded.

3- This sequence of commands:

F12, then enter:
    GOARM3JIT 0
    GOARM3JIT
    Press ENTER to the desktop and check the mouse
This sequence does not cause the mouse to go havok: it keeps working as normal.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Sorry, MODE is an alias that's disabled by default. Use "ECHO <22><13>" instead.

On a separate issue, could you see if Magic Pockets still works.