ADFFS 2.61 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.61 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: I've been re-testing and I didn't see any regressions. Have you?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: I've been re-testing and I didn't see any regressions. Have you?
Cartoon Line pt.1 (both releases) flickers when the bull appears and Ballarena (Sisteme) hangs, although I've not tested many - see the OP for games I've tried.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:Ballarena (Sisteme) hangs
Resolved with latest build
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

F1064001 Blaston (1991) (Eterna) (sometimes hangs loading)
This is being cause by either an ARM erratum or the variables within the codelet for LDMIA R13!,{R0-R2,PC} @ 2CB68 getting corrupt. When the codelet exits via LDR PC, return_address; return_address has changed from 2C470 to 110 - which coincidentally is the value of R0 on entry.

EDIT: Another possibility is IRQ stack corruption, although unlikely inside a channel handler.

Reencoding the instruction as two instruction, one to load everything except PC and the second to load PC works around the issue - but doesn't really help locate root cause. What I have established is that [R13, #12] is 20000112 when it crashes.

EDIT2: Doh..having wasted over a day thinking there's something wrong within ADFFS, it's just dawned on me that BlastOn's voice is using BL. This isn't allowed within a voice as IRQ are enabled and as a consequence R14 can't be used. I'll correct the code, which will hopefully fix the issue.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

2.61r beta on the dev site. There's no need to retest games we've already tested with this build.
F1064001 Blaston (1991) (Eterna) (sometimes hangs loading)
F1004401 Blaston (1994) (Uffenkamp Computer Systeme) (no sound)
Both resolved with the latest scripts.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: BlastOn has music during gameplay, but the main character does not move at all now. It used to move using Z-X etc. Now it won't move with ANY key on the keyboard. I am using the Eterna version with F1064001 ID code, and the latest 2.61r beta from the dev site.

Also, Cannon Fodder does not exit clearly anymore: it leaves last sample sounding, and the "press any key or mouse button to continue" message is missing now. That's from floppy, no outdated scripts this time.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: BlastOn has music during gameplay, but the main character does not move at all now. It used to move using Z-X etc. Now it won't move with ANY key on the keyboard. I am using the Eterna version with F1064001 ID code, and the latest 2.61r beta from the dev site.
I fixed that a few mins after uploading and then reuploaded , you may have grabbed the file before I'd fixed it. Updating obey.zip should resolve it.
Vanfanel wrote:Also, Cannon Fodder does not exit clearly anymore: it leaves last sample sounding, and the "press any key or mouse button to continue" message is missing now. That's from floppy, no outdated scripts this time.
SoundDMA has crashed then, which leaves the system in an unstable state. I've not managed to repro this, does it do it every time? At what point are you quitting?

Ironically, I was trying to figure out how to recover from a SoundDMA crash yesterday, but it really breaks the Pi in such an unstable state, the only fix is a reboot.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Chocks Away randomly crashes when starting, if a mode change doesn't occur after the JIT starts. I've modified the scripts to resolve this, there's an updated obey.zip on the dev site.

The following games exhibit this behaviour (tested with HD installs):

F1000701 Air Supremacy (1991) (Superior Software)
F1049302 Arc/A3000 Christmas Box, The: PON! in Winterland (1990) (RTFM Software)
F1060601 Chocks Away Compendium [SA version] (2000) (The Fourth Dimension)
F1017901 Gribbly's Day Out (1992) (Coin-Age) - VIDC timing issue
Updated Modules on the dev site which resolve this issue
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Cannon Fodder seems to always crash the audio if I quit during the "mission complete" tune, with the soldiers waving their hands.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Cannon Fodder seems to always crash the audio if I quit during the "mission complete" tune, with the soldiers waving their hands.
I've repeatedly tried to get it to crash doing this, but haven't managed to get it to crash one. That said, I will give some more thought to how to recover from an Abort in the sound system.