Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

Re: Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: Are there any special advices on installing Wolfenstein3D?
It requires the floppies for the disk protection, you could try mounting disc 1 in the boot script - if that doesn't work, you're stuck with using it from floppy.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

It doesn't seem to work, as it still exits to the desktop. I guess I have found the first non-instalable Risc OS game! :D
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:I guess I have found the first non-instalable Risc OS game! :D
It's more likely the files are corrupt. You can't copy the files from all three discs, Original.ASWAP looks like its appended from discs 2 and 3. I'd suggest installing under an emulator then copy the file back to the Pi.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:I'd suggest installing under an emulator then copy the file back to the Pi.
As luck would have it, over the past few days I've been fixing the bugs that prevent the WIMP based installers from working. It's still work in progress, but Wolfenstein 3D will install on the Pi with the latest build:
  1. Mount disc 1
  2. Create an Obey file with the following script and then run it:

Code: Select all

ADFRemapVideoMemory WIMP
    GOARM3JIT 0
    adfs
    dir adfs::WolfProg.$
    adfs::WolfProg.!HDInstall
  3. When it's finished, wait a few seconds and then reboot the machine
  4. Copy disc 1 into the !Wolf folder
  5. Replace the !Run with F1038801, comment out the first line and replace it with *ADFMount <disc 1 filename>
If you don't reboot, the machine will fail horribly - there's still bugs to fix and additions required to allow the JIT to shutdown when the WIMP task it's managing quits.
Mikecad

Post by Mikecad »

I'm not normally one to hijack threads but I didn't see a point in creating a new one. I've been trying without success to get a HD installed E-Type and have so far failed. I have acquired "adapted" versions which are supposed to run from HD but seem to hang at the splash screen. My next avenue was to look at a way of mounting the ADF files automatically with ADFFS. I noticed that your page references a single line fix to the !Run file for E-Type. So in terms of creating an !E-Type application directory, copying the ADF files into it, taking the !Run from disk 1, adding the *ADFMount line to it (I might be naive and oversimplifying things but I'm fairly new to this). This just crashes. Any insight or advice?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Mikecad wrote:I've been trying without success to get a HD installed E-Type and have so far failed. I have acquired "adapted" versions which are supposed to run from HD but seem to hang at the splash screen.
I'm afraid you're on your own with "acquired/adapted" versions, as this project only deals with original releases. The original E-Type is hardcoded for :0.$.TRACKS, to correct this, you'd need to do the following:
  1. Copy the !E-TYPE directory from disc 1
  2. Copy the TRACKS directory from disc 2 to the !E-TYPE directory
  3. Copy HIGH from disc 2 to the !E-TYPE directory
  4. Copy the disc 1 floppy image to the !E-TYPE directory
  5. Replace !Run with F1014001 from !ADFFS.obey, comment out the 2nd line (Set Obey$Dir...) and replace it with
    ADFMount <Obey$Dir>.<disc 1 filename>
  6. Edit !E-TYPE.E-TYPE and:

Replace the three occurrences of :0.$ with <Obey$Dir>

Remove the following lines:
    170 PROCconfirm(TRUE)
    950 PROCconfirm(0)
    2110 *MOUNT 0

Within line 2130 replace $ with <Obey$Dir>

Fix a bug in the game, by changing line 1000 from MODE 13 to MODE 13:OFF
NOTE: Track 5 is corrupt on the JASPP original, which I'll fix at some point.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Wolfenstein3D installed on HDD and working following your instructions.
@Mikecad: This could be considered the thread for questions regarding HDD installs and ADFFS, so it's ok to ask here I guess :)
Mikecad

Post by Mikecad »

I'd love to get Wolf working on the A3000, can always give it a go :) I was trying to do a HDD install but I think it kept complaining about one or more of the disks being corrupted? Can't even remember where I sourced it from... Thanks for the response! I'm going to have a play around with Chocks Away, it seems the ADPL hard disk installable version is very difficult to find so I'll use the logic you mentioned for E-Type, see if I can get that working and then see if I can reuse that for Chocks. I'm here to learn :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Mikecad wrote:I'd love to get Wolf working on the A3000, can always give it a go :) I was trying to do a HDD install but I think it kept complaining about one or more of the disks being corrupted? Can't even remember where I sourced it from... Thanks for the response!
Factoid for you, Wolfenstein 3D is the only game on the Archimedes that uses sector in sector disc protection (on disc 1). If the protection check fails, it exits at the menu. It also has a bug where it doesn't prompt for disc 1 when you end a game via ESC, so appears to hang until disc 1 is inserted.

F1038801 is the Boot Script for it. Other than fixing Page Zero bugs it doesn't do anything, so it should work on an A3000 as-is - provided disc 1 is mounted so it can do it's protection check.
Mikecad wrote:I'm going to have a play around with Chocks Away, it seems the ADPL hard disk installable version is very difficult to find so I'll use the logic you mentioned for E-Type, see if I can get that working and then see if I can reuse that for Chocks. I'm here to learn :)
It was never released with a HD installer.

If you get totally stuck, I'll take a look. Provided games aren't using hardcoded paths within encrypted/compressed code, you can generally coerce them into running off HD.
Mikecad

Post by Mikecad »

I had a look and a few of the files were plain text with lots of references to the floppy. Then one of the files called looks like a binary and I can see what looks like some floppy references too in the gibberish :)

Interestingly when mounting the ADF files for Chocks with ADFFS, trying to launch !Chocks still gives a bad disk error, if I convert them to HFE and mount them in my HXC the game runs fine.