Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS

Post by Vanfanel »

Hi Jon.

I seem to recall that you once gave me this information, but I can not locate it.
Could we have it on it's own thread? Such a topic deserves it, I believe. I have seen you have many games installed in your Pi (Lemmings, Chucj Rock...) and I guess they are launched simply by clicking on their icons! How can we archieve the same?
JonAbbott

Re: Installing games to HD and boot them with ADFFS

Post by JonAbbott »

From the Boot scripts thread:

1. Create an application directory on your HD using the same name as the game (ie !Cannon for Cannon Fodder)
2. Copy the Fxxxxx Obey file as "!Run" to the application folder (ie !ADFFS.Obey.F1006501 for Cannon Fodder)
3. Edit the Obey file and add a start line that mounts the 1st floppy image via the line below - this should be the 1st floppy filename
*ADFMount <Obey$Dir>.Fxxxxx01

ie for Cannon Fodder this would be: *ADFMount <Obey$Dir>.F1006501
4. Copy all the floppy images for the game into the application folder
5. Open the first floppy image and copy the !Sprites file from !<game>.!Sprites to your application folder (ie copy !Cannon.!Sprites to !Cannon.!Sprites on the HD)

You can then launch the game as if it's installed on your HD, have a nice application icon for it and put them all together in one place.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I think there's something wrong/missing on these instructions, Jon:
If I do exactly what you say, all I get when I click on the !Cannon icon is a spinning hourgrass.
For the game to actually load, I have to rename the first floppy image to F1006501.
That's ommited in the instructions, but I supposed the file on which you do ADFMount must be the renamed first floppy image.
Then I can double-click on the icon and the intro will start, but I am not able to change discs at the "insert disc 2" prompt. Eternal hourglass again.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

At step 3 you need to change the ADFMount line to the 1st floppy filename, including hard spaces if there's spaces in the filename.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

So if I rename floppies to F1006501, F1006502 and F1006503 and have
*ADFMount <Obey$Dir>.F1006501
then ADFFS won't find floppies 2 and 3 when I swap disks?

How can I put "hard spaces" on the !Run file? Normal spaces are interpreted as parameters...
EDIT: Ok, hardspaces are done with ALT+SPACE. Now I have the original named floppy images in !Cannon.
However, I can't enter disk 2 at the prompt after intro: hourglass keeps spinning.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:So if I rename floppies to F1006501, F1006502 and F1006503 and have
*ADFMount <Obey$Dir>.F1006501
then ADFFS won't find floppies 2 and 3 when I swap disks?

How can I put "hard spaces" on the !Run file? Normal spaces are interpreted as parameters...
EDIT: Ok, hardspaces are done with ALT+SPACE. Now I have the original named floppy images in !Cannon.
However, I can't enter disk 2 at the prompt after intro: hourglass keeps spinning.
See if the following method works, it may be that Obey$Dir isn't being expanded until after its passed to ADFFS:

Code: Select all

Set ADFFS$GAME <Obey$Dir>
ADFMount <ADFFS$GAME>.Fxxxxx01
EDIT: For a hardspace, use character 160, eg:

Code: Select all

ADFMount <ADFFS$GAME>.A<160>File<160>With<160>Spaces<160>Fxxxxx01
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Working now, Jon!!
Hardspaces work with ALT+SPACE, also, and it's easier to use them. I can now swap discs etc!

For the final touch, is there a way to launch the game without having to double-click on ADFFS before?
I mean, what should I add to the !Run file so it loads ADFFS itself?
I tried adding !ADFFS but it didn't work.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

You'll need to add !ADFFS to your startup so it's auto loaded at boot. You can't run it as part of an Obey script as it resets the filesytem and won't return to the script that loaded it.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Working perfectly after adding ADFFS to startup! War never been so much fun!!! :D
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Are there any special advices on installing Wolfenstein3D?
I copied over !Wolf, and got the data from the other two disk, as I always do. Then put the corresponding obey script as !Run and removed the first line, but it takes me back to the desktop just after the intro when the nazi soldier shots the camera.