Update on next release

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
ringdings

Re: Update on next release

Post by ringdings »

I'm not going to be able to test until later in the week.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Testing with adffs249h and updated obey.zip:

-Lemmings: error on data transfer as soon as it's launched. Other time I got "ADFFS Exception: ADFFS5010 Branch through zero"
-Pacmania: hangs on loading picture
-Cannon Fodder: hangs after "Cannon Fodder Loading" text
-Chuck Rock: hangs on Krisalis logo
-SWIV: hangs on black screen as soon as launched
-Lotus II: hangs on black screen after Krisalis logo
-Heimdall: hangs on disk swap when I insert disc 2 to disembarc on an island
Thanks for testing.

Lemmings / Lotus II / Heimdall / Chuck Rock / Pac-mania all sound cache flush related as I've just tested them under RO3.71 SA emulation and they're all working - at least that's progress.

SWIV is crashing under emulation, so I'll investigate that one further.

Thundermonk - I still need to debug and find out why your fire graphic doesn't appear. At first I though it was OS related, but It only happens on the Pi, on RO5 SA it's appears - which makes no sense what-so-ever. Anyhow, I've dumped the code already so just need to figure out which bit is failing.

If you have time and the patience ...
  • Conqueror needs a long playtest to ensure it's not randomly crashing
  • Fire & Ice needs play testing to level 3 to see if I've resolved the disc protection
  • Mad Professor Mariarti needs play testing to ensure it's not randomly crashing
  • Poizone needs a long playtest
  • The Legend of the Lost Temple needs play testing a few levels in to ensure there's no issues. It had lots of page zero bugs that I had to fix and I'm almost certain there may be more. Run via the following method as it doesn't report correctly otherwise:
    1. Mount the floppy
    2. F12 to go to the commandline
    3. GOS
    4. ADFBo.
    5. If it crashes press ENTER a few times and then: JITShowReg
      ...and let me know the address it crashed at
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated ADFFS modules on the dev site. Heimdall and Cannon Fodder should now be working.

Lemmings / Lotus II / Chuck Rock / Pac-mania / Conqueror / SWIV still have problems.

Mad Professor Mariarti may have a page zero access issue, it crashed once during a long play test - I hadn't started it from the commandline though so didn't see the error because of the Wimp. On the second play test, booted from the commandline, I couldn't get it to crash again despite playing it for 20 mins.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Cannon Fodder doesn't work on the Raspberry Pi, it still hangs on disk swap screen.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Cannon Fodder doesn't work on the Raspberry Pi, it still hangs on disk swap screen.
Odd, it's working on my Pi. Does it let you swap discs and then hang or is it hanging before you can swap?

Which OS build are you running?
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I'm running latest RC image from riscosopen. It hangs before I can swap the disks, as soon as it gets to the disk swap screen.
I simply updated ADFFS500 from the FTP dev directory. Maybe I should update something else?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'll retest on RC14 and report back, I don't recall which build I'm on at the moment as I've been testing various RO builds to try to resolve the IRQ issue.

You need adffs249h.zip then the latest obey.zip and adffs500 which will bring you up to the latest. A quick test to confirm you have, is to download and try Tactic as that will only work and have sound on the latest build/obey.zip

Incidentally, the hanging was being caused by a bug in the OS_File handler, which was failing if an error occurred - most disc swap code relies on an error coming back if the correct disc isn't inserted.
ringdings

Post by ringdings »

OK I get the same as Vanfanel, hanging on disk swap screen.
Using 249h, ADFSS500 and Obey all copied down today.

I also left it going on the credits screens once and it hung after a couple of minutes.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

The latest build / obey.zip should fix the following games:
  • BlowPipe
  • Cannon Fodder
  • Chuck Rock
  • Conqueror
  • Pac-mania
  • Revelation!
  • SWIV
  • SWIV [BUZZ version]
After nearly two weeks of debugging, I tracked the issue down to a combination of two bugs, the first being that codelets were misaligned, which was causing the IRQ handler to fail when some codelets were reentered; the second was in codelet reuse, which was writing to page zero instead of the codelet header.

Battle Chess still has a problem and I've yet to play test Fire & Ice to see if the disc protection is still failing on the Pi. Finally, Thundermonk still has an issue with the fire not appearing and the cursor doesn't clip correctly in Lemmings. I did spend a few days looking at the Lemmings code and couldn't see anything wrong with it, the code that plots the cursor is copied and not altered by the JIT, however it does use dynamic code, so there could be a bug in either the Abort handler or where it flushes the cache.

EDIT: I've uploaded adffs249i.zip to the dev site, which also contains the additional tracker modules used by some games
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

adffs250b.zip on the dev site, which fixes Battle Chess.

Fire & Ice's disc protection is still failing on the Pi, but I'll have to resolve that in a later release. Provided there's no issues with the known working games, I'll aim to release this next week.