Update on next release

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
ringdings

Re: Update on next release

Post by ringdings »

Nebulus and pacmania (grandstand) work alright for me.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ringdings wrote:I can't seem to do the disk swap process for multi disk games. When prompted for the second disk I press CTRL SHIFT F2 but just get an hour glass that doesn't go away.
See if you can swap discs when you're at the desktop.
ringdings wrote:Nebulus and pacmania (grandstand) work alright for me.
I'll roll back my RISCOS to RC14 tomorrow and see if they then work, thanks for confirming.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:I'll roll back my RISCOS to RC14 tomorrow and see if they then work, thanks for confirming.
RC14 appeared to fix Nebulus but not Pacmania, which is still hanging a few seconds after loading. Curious, I then rolled forward to the latest Nightly build (22-04-15) and Nebulus booted okay, but is randomly hanging.

On a hunch, I switched from using 50Hz 1080p to 60Hz 720p and Pac-mania then works, so it looks like there may be an issue when ADFFS shuts down the frame pacing, if it detects a 50Hz VSync. I've also noticed that between 2.47 and 2.49 60Hz has become rather jerky (testing Conqueror), so I'll need to look at that as well.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

I've started running the requested tests. I am on RC14 default ROM.
I am using adffs500 module from today 04/30/2015
-Ballarena: OK now
-Blowpipe: ADFFS5001 Unhadled write in page zero
-Nebulus: takes 30 seconds on the krisalis logo and then works ok!
-Cannon Fodder: hangs at the disk 2 prompt.
-Pacmania: hangs after 5-10 seconds on the tittle screen (as expected I guess?)
-Fire And Ice: after looong soak test, the game seems totally stable
Last edited by Vanfanel on Fri May 01, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ringdings

Post by ringdings »

When I played pacmania I started the game immediately and played for about 2 minutes. I'll try leaving it on the title screen.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Don't worry about testing the RED games for the moment, I need to resolve the issues first. If either of you have the time, it's worth play testing the working games to make sure there's no further issues or page zero access bugs.

If you come across any page zero access reports, could you please take a photo of the screen and post it on the Page Zero Access thread along with repro details - if it's reliably reproducable. I'll then debug the game and fix the bug.

Once I have Heimdall working again, we will need to play test it and figure out how to repro the page zero bug so I can fix it. Battle Chess has a similar issue, as does Caverns, although I'll probably leave Caverns until I add cursor support to the blitter and resolve the screen width issue. If you follow the link above, I've detailed all the known Page Zero bugs in games and which ones I've fixed to date.
Vanfanel wrote:-Ballarena: OK now
-Blowpipe: ADFFS5001 Unhadled write in page zero
-Nebulus (launched from commandline with *ADFFSBOOTFLOPPY): hangs in krisalis logo.
-Cannon Fodder: hangs at the disk 2 prompt.
-Pacmania: hangs after 5-10 seconds on the tittle screen (as expected I guess?)
-Fire And Ice: after looong soak test, the game seems totally stable
Nebulus - if you wait, does it eventually get past the Krisalis screen. 248i is going straight into the game, the 249 daily build is taking a good 30 seconds to decrypt the game. I'm looking into why this is at the moment.
Pac-mania - you're seeing the same as me, definitely an issue when switching off the fake 50Hz VSync. I'm looking at this.
ringdings wrote:When I played pacmania I started the game immediately and played for about 2 minutes. I'll try leaving it on the title screen.
I think it's going to be okay on your Pi, the issue only comes about when the Pi is configured for 50Hz on config.txt
ringdings

Post by ringdings »

I think my Pi is configured for 50Hz

In config.txt:

hdmi_group=1
#576p @ 50Hz
#hdmi_mode=17
#
#720p @ 50Hz
#hdmi_mode=19
#
#1080p @ 50Hz
hdmi_mode=31
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

ringdings wrote:I think my Pi is configured for 50Hz

In config.txt:

hdmi_group=1
#576p @ 50Hz
#hdmi_mode=17
#
#720p @ 50Hz
#hdmi_mode=19
#
#1080p @ 50Hz
hdmi_mode=31
It is indeed.

From hours of debugging today, I've established it's not related to 50Hz as well, although switching my Pi to 60Hz does resolve the problem. I can only conclude from that, that the issue is IRQ related.

Whilst debugging the above, suspicion fell on the sound Scheduler, so I tried switching Pac-mania's music code from EventV 4 (VSync) to TickerV to see if it made any difference - it didn't resolve the missing notes or the hanging.

I'm going to look at the blitter IRQ handler next.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Nebulus works if I wait enough time on the krisalis logo, Jon. I've updated my previous test results about this one.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Fire & Ice is failing the disk protection when run under the JIT, I noticed it when I did the YouTube play through so today play tested to level 3 on both RO 3.71 ARM600 and RO 3.71 StrongARM to check. On ARM600 the protection works, on StrongARM it fails so may be an issue in the JIT as it does hypervize ADFS DiscOps.

I don't know if you two want to get some practice in at getting to level 3 as we'll need to play test this one a few times to confirm it's fixed - once I've located the problem.

Once you're at level 3 - you should immediately see baddies if the protection works. If it fails, the level is empty.