ADFFS 2.40

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.40

Post by Vanfanel »

-Pacmania now works again
-Revolver works, too.
-Jet Fighter shows tittle screen, but it shows a black screen after I press 1 or 2.
-Freddy's Folly doesn't work at all: shows black screen with a bliking cursor
-Xenon2: Megablast hangs while waiting for disk 2
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:-Pacmania now works again
-Revolver works, too.
-Jet Fighter shows tittle screen, but it shows a black screen after I press 1 or 2.
-Freddy's Folly doesn't work at all: shows black screen with a bliking cursor
-Xenon2: Megablast hangs while waiting for disk 2
Odd, they're all working for me. Xenon2 - hold CTRL-SHIFT and keep hitting F2 until you see the hourglass.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

They definitively don't work here.
And Xenon2 says: "Internal error: branch though zero" and halts the system, when I swap the discs.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:They definitively don't work here.
And Xenon2 says: "Internal error: branch though zero" and halts the system, when I swap the discs.
Tracked the problem down, OS_Byte 176 was corrupting the PSR on exit. I'm not sure why they were working when I tested, but I managed to repro the issue and have put the fixed version on the dev site.

EDIT: Thinking about it, if VSync is 50hz it shouldn't be intercepting OS_Byte 176. I'll add a check to the next update.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:if VSync is 50hz it shouldn't be intercepting OS_Byte 176. I'll add a check to the next update.
This is now implemented.

Provided everything works, we should probably release it.

There's a few games that are close to working, namely ones that now work on StrongARM which don't use 26bit module. The only differences between ADFFS on StrongARM and the Pi are IOC emulation, all code goes through the JIT in the same way - unless it's an SWI that takes an address that I've missed.

Potential candidates to get working next are:
  • BlowPipe
  • Cannon Fodder
  • Chuck Rock
  • GODS
  • Ibix The Viking
  • Lemmings
  • Paradroid 2000
  • Sensible Soccer
BlowPipe is the closest to working, the only problem is a piece of code that tries to write to page zero. I'll probably take a look into this today.

I also need to figure out how to improve disc swapping on Xenon 2 and BlowPipe. Both sit in a loop waiting for an IRQ event to notice the disc has changed, for some reason that causes problems on the Pi, as if the keyboard doesn't trigger a hardware IRQ.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Jet Fighter and Xenon2 work again :)
Freddy's Folly is still stuck on a black screen with blinking text cursor.

All the rest compatible games work as expected!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Freddy's Folly is still stuck on a black screen with blinking text cursor.
At what point does it go to a blank screen? Typically it's working for me :roll:
Vanfanel wrote:All the rest compatible games work as expected!
Excellent.

"World Class Leaderboard" also works, I've put a hashed together copy in the untested folder (F1039301) and the updated obey.zip in /development/obey. This isn't taken from an original, so its not much use at this stage. It's also unplayable as it needs slowing down so probably not worth testing any further.

Steve and I did discuss options on how to slow down these sorts of games, so I'll probably use it to develop that.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

JonAbbott wrote: At what point does it go to a blank screen? Typically it's working for me :roll:
As soon as I click "BOOT FLOPPY" and then "YES" in the confirmation menu.
JonAbbott wrote: Steve and I did discuss options on how to slow down these sorts of games, so I'll probably use it to develop that.
Are these games that sync to some CPU speed dependant routine?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:As soon as I click "BOOT FLOPPY" and then "YES" in the confirmation menu.
It sounds like the game is missing a requirement, rather than an issue in ADFFS.
Vanfanel wrote:Are these games that sync to some CPU speed dependant routine?
They're generally games that don't do any pacing and rely on the CPU being a certain MIPS.

Zarch is a good example of this, although it uses screen banks, so we add the delay at the bank switch.

There are games however, such as WCL that neither wait for VSync or bank swap, so currently run too fast.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:
Vanfanel wrote:As soon as I click "BOOT FLOPPY" and then "YES" in the confirmation menu.
It sounds like the game is missing a requirement, rather than an issue in ADFFS.
I've analysed the Freddy's Folly code and have rewritten the Boot script accordingly, could you grab the latest ADFFS500 and Obey.zip and see if there's any change.