ADFFS 2.40

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.40

Post by Vanfanel »

JonAbbott wrote:
Vanfanel wrote:I've tried BlowPipe in 2.40b with the updated Obey.zip, but the game hangs when prompting for disk2 (as soon as it's launched)
Hold CTRL-SHIFT and keep hitting F2 until you see the hourglass. It's listed in the known issues.
Ouch! Sorry about that!
Once one gets the disk swapped (as in Xenon2) the game runs great!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I started looking at a few of the other games that are close, to see if they suffer the same problem as BlowPipe. Chuck Rock is one possible, Cannon Fodder looked like a different issue. I've yet to look at Paradroid 2000 or Heimdall.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Heimdall works perfectly well, don't waste time on this one, it seems to be as playable as I remember it :P
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Heimdall works perfectly well, don't waste time on this one, it seems to be as playable as I remember it :P
Really? It was crashing after swapping disc the last time I tested, good news if it's now fixed.

If you download the latest ADFFS500 dev build and obey.zip ........ Lemmings is working :D

The palette swap is in the wrong place, but that's a minor issue that will be resolved in due course. The cursor also wraps if you move it to the screen edges - not sure why that happens as it's a software cursor.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

And with the latest dev build the following are now working:

Paradroid 2000 - sound effect are wrong, it's the same on all platforms beyond RO3.11 so needs investigating
Rockfall - no sound effects (requires IOC device 9 coding)

Non-working, but get further:

2067BC - hangs on the title page
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 - now gets past the intro sequence
richw

Post by richw »

Hi chaps,

Not sure if this is strictly the right thread, but I've managed to give 2.40beta a whirl on a Pi. I have made my own SD image using a ROM image dates 10th March 2014, alogside a HardDisk4 image of the same date. My config.txt is as recommended, but the hdmi_mode is 20 (for 1080i, since my TV will not do 1080p). I've installed CPUSetup into Configure, and used that to enable the most compatible mode. RISC OS desktop works nicely, and I have SparkFS loaded at boot-up.

ADFFS starts. I can open the Pacmania disk image and see the files. 'Boot floppy' starts the game, but... instead of one display, I see several of them arranged in a tile. The sound seems OK, as do the controls and game speed. But there is something most strange with the video. Anyone else seen this?

I'm going to try out a couple more games, then I'll see if my Pi firmware (as opposed to RISC OS ROM) needs to be updated. I'm currently using the Pi firmware from NOOBS.
richw

Post by richw »

Further to this, I have tried Terramex. It shows two copies of the screen, but placed at the top of my TV! The space below is all grey. Similar with Mad Professor.

I have tried the latest Pi firmware from GitHub, but no difference. Not sure what else to try now!
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@JohnAbbott: Lemmings works!! Hurrah! And it's almost perfect, with the lower screen area having wrong colors: that must be the palette problem you mention. I would fix that, and release 2.41b as Lemmings is probably one of the greatest games to have working in any OS! :P

@richw: I have no idea what could be wrong, but both Pacmania and Terramex work great here. The Scroll in PACMANIA is, in fact, as smooth as it can be now, so there's nothing strange or notable (besides some keyboard input problems I've with Risc OS, nothing to do with ADFFs).
I would simply use the old 2013 Risc OS image, update the boot partition files to those in BETA12, and copy over the !BOOT contents, then use that to run ADFFS.
We need an updated image for download, but well, that will come with time I hope.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

richw wrote:ADFFS starts. I can open the Pacmania disk image and see the files. 'Boot floppy' starts the game, but... instead of one display, I see several of them arranged in a tile.
Can you confirm that !SparkFS is running, as it doesn't sound like they're being run through the latest boot scripts. If it can't access the Obey file (<ADFFS$Dir>.Obey.Fxxxx01) it will run the boot script that's embedded in the floppy image and if that doesn't exist will fall back to a SHIFT-BOOT of the floppy.

The boot scripts in the floppy images haven't been updated for the Pi yet, so its essential that the games are run via the boot scripts in !ADFFS.obey - hence the requirement for !SparkFS.

If !SparkFS is running, can you go to an F12 prompt with ADFFS loaded and see what "*ADFRemapVideoMemory 9 80" does. You should be in MODE 9 with no double image.
Vanfanel wrote:Lemmings works!! Hurrah! And it's almost perfect, with the lower screen area having wrong colors: that must be the palette problem you mention. I would fix that, and release 2.41b as Lemmings is probably one of the greatest games to have working in any OS! :P
It's a timing issue with IOC Timer 1 firing too soon. I'm not going to spend any time trying to fix it as we're awaiting the new blitter, which will emulate VIDC1 register changes and MEMC hardware scrolling.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Heimdall works perfectly well, don't waste time on this one, it seems to be as playable as I remember it :P
Heimdall is still randomly crashing when swapping discs for me, so there's still an issue somewhere.