ADFFS 2.39 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

ADFFS 2.39 beta

Post by JonAbbott »

Bug fixes for the Pi and BASIC is now covered by the JIT.

To force your Pi to 50Hz, edit config.txt on the DOS partition and add the following lines. Uncomment one of the hdmi_mode values:

Code: Select all

hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_group=1
#
#576p @ 50Hz
#hdmi_mode=17
#
#720p @ 50Hz
#hdmi_mode=19
#
#1080p @ 50Hz
hdmi_mode=31
At other monitor frequencies, games will still run at the correct rate but micro stutter may be noticeable where it pads extra frames to make up the difference.

NOTE: You must ensure fake_vsync_isr=1 is also uncommented in your config.txt file on the Pi. If you see a blank screen, try setting the monitor to Auto. Also ensure the ARM is configured as ARMv5 and SparkFS is loaded.

Changes since 2.38
  • The following instructions weren't encoded correctly:
    • STMIx Rx! (was corrupting Rx if an instruction wasn't overwritten)
    • STMIx Rn, {<reglist>, PC}
  • OS_Module 13 hypervised
  • BASIC module is moved to the RMA and patched to pass CALL / USR onto the JIT
  • Fixed a problem where it could hang when loading on the Pi
  • Corrections to ADFS_MiscOp 0
  • Wasn't stopping the 50Hz VSync generator if the actual Vsync is 50Hz on non-IOMD 32bit
  • Display width wasn't being rounded to the next 32 byte boundary

Known issues
  • Doesn't support the protection used by Chequered Flag (non-RO3 version), Fine Racer and KerBang! (they talk directly to the FDC via IOC)
  • Shelling out of the desktop (Ctrl-Shift-F12 twice) hangs if an HD floppy is mounted on RO3.5+ ARM710 under RedSquirrel
  • Although Caverns runs fine under VIDC translation on the A7000, on a RPC the scrolling isn't quite correct
  • Will not work on a RISC OS 3.1x machine with more than 13mb allocated to application space. To workaround increase another area until Applications (free) is below 13mb and ensure it never goes above it whilst ADFFS is loaded
  • Does not currently work on RO5.x IOMD
  • Some games don't display on Kinetic (eg Zarch)
  • No 26-bit module support on 32bit OS's
  • Requires 30mb of free memory to work on a StrongARM machine, if the game isn't natively StrongARM compatible
  • Does not work on OMAP3/4, untested on Iyonix
  • Games that update the display on event 4 currently flicker on Archimedes/Risc PC (eg Chuck Rock, James Pond)
  • Sometimes reports "Broken directory" after loading (exiting and reloading is a temporary fix)
  • Can't change discs in Apocalypse on RO4
  • Difficult to change discs on BlowPipe and Xenon 2: Megablast on the Pi (hold CTRL-SHIFT and keep hitting F2 until you see the hourglass)
  • Jahangir Khan aborts when quiting back to the desktop on the Pi

Games that are made StrongARM/Pi compatible with this version:
F1009001 - Conqueror
F1016701 - Freddy's Folly
F1056501 - Humanoids (of Humanoids & Robotix)
F1021001 - Jahangir Khan World Championship Squash
F1021301 - Jet Fighter
F1048401 - The Krisalis Collection: Mad Professor Mariarti [BUZZ version]
F1048403 - The Krisalis Collection: Revelation! [BUZZ version]
F1048404 - The Krisalis Collection: Terramex
F1023301 - Mad Professor Mariarti
F1023601 - Magic Pockets
F1050701 - Pac-mania
F1027001 - Orion
F1044701 - Pac-mania [Learning Curve version]
F1030801 - Revelation!
F1059501 - Revelation! [BUZZ version]
F1030901 - Revolver
F1031201 - Rise in Crime
F1036601 - Terramex
F1039601 - Xenon 2: Megablast
F1040201 - Zarch

NOTE: The "Boot floppy" scripts have been updated for many games, so ensure you have !SparkFS or similar loaded before using "Boot floppy".
If you've contributed one of the unreleased titles and have the JFD floppy image, it should work provided you have !SparkFS or similar loaded. Alternatively, extract the relevant Obey file from !ADFFS.obey and launch manually.

Please provide feedback, let us know if it's working or see any issues.
Attachments
adffs239b.zip
(483.21 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Vanfanel

Re: ADFFS 2.39 beta

Post by Vanfanel »

You did it!!!

Pac-Mania is now PERFECTLY smooth on the Pi now!! No need to mess with ANYTHIG, IT'S JUST PERFECT!!!!!!
This is incredible, awesome!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm showing this to all my friends, and announcing this on the Gaming section of the Rpi forum!!!

PD: Could you PLEASE fix a game called "The Dungeon"? It's a classic dungeon crawler n the vein of Dungeon Master or Ultima Underworld, and shows incredible raycaster graphics!
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Oh, some more testing results:

Magic Pockets boots, then I hit the mouse button to start playing: I can see the main character in the cave, but no keys will respond. I tried every key on the keyboard. There's no way for me to know if the game is hung.

if, instead of clicking the mouse, I press the ENTER key, I can see the "LOADING" message for a second, and then all I get is a black screen.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Pac-Mania is now PERFECTLY smooth on the Pi now!
Thank god for that! :lol:
Vanfanel wrote:Magic Pockets boots, then I hit the mouse button to start playing: I can see the main character in the cave, but no keys will respond. I tried every key on the keyboard. There's no way for me to know if the game is hung.
Try the attached debug build, the Aborts should be continually counting up (the A: figure)
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Ah!! I Have to have SparkFS launched, and the game works with no problems!! :D
The only flaw is that pressing ENTER during the intro instead of clicking the mouse causes a black screen.

But otherwise, the game runs fine under 2.39 beta! It was my fault this time for now loading sparkfs.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

OOPS, the game stopped working, showing me a black screen after the intro, even if I click the mouse instead of using the ENTER key.
I had to replace the disk image (JFD) and the game worked again.

So, can ADFFS corrupt JFDs?
Maybe the problem is that I simply turn the Pi off and on again to return to the desktop from the games...
What's the right way to return to the desktop after I boot a floppy in ADFFS?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:I had to replace the disk image (JFD) and the game worked again.
Most of the images on here were corrupt, I took the site down a few weeks back to rebuilt it from scratch, they've not corrupt since...fingers crossed! If you've downloaded any prior to the 24th Feb, redownload them again just to be sure.
Vanfanel wrote:What's the right way to return to the desktop after I boot a floppy in ADFFS?
CTRL-SHIFT-F12 will eventually be the way to exit a game, but I've not finished coding it. I think it hangs at the moment on the Pi. How well it works will largely depend on how well we can track system claims and release them cleanly, at the minute it tracks all software vector claims, device claims and the hardware IRQ vector. I still need to add module specific claims such as Sound_Configure etc.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Could you PLEASE fix a game called "The Dungeon"?
Have just taken a look, it requires 26bit module support which I'll start implementing soon.
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Code: Select all

Have just taken a look, it requires 26bit module support which I'll start implementing soon.
Great!!

Oh, and I've also found that, in Magic Pockets, depending on the moment of the intro when you click the mouse, the game will work or not.
If you click too soon, it won't work! Is that expected?

Also, let's say I want to test a game that is supported, but the image I have is not published here: it's, let's say, my own image.
How can I convince ADFFS to use the right OBEY file to launch the game?
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:Oh, and I've also found that, in Magic Pockets, depending on the moment of the intro when you click the mouse, the game will work or not.
If you click too soon, it won't work! Is that expected?
It used to do that when it had trouble working out the physical address of the GPU buffer, but that issue was fixed a long time ago. How doesn't it work? Does it crash or does it carry on in the background you just can't see it? What does the debug build do?
Vanfanel wrote:I want to test a game that is supported, but the image I have is not published here.
How can I convince ADFFS to use the right OBEY file to launch the game?
Just run the relevent obey script in !ADFFS.obey after you've mounted it.

That can be a pain, so alternatively you could create a !<game name> folder, copy the obey script as !Run to it and add a line to the top "ADFMount <Obey$Dir>.disc1", finally copy your floppy images into the folder as "disc1", "disc2" etc. You might also want to copy the IconSprite file from disc1 to the folder so you get the icon for it.