ADFFS 2.29 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

ADFFS 2.29 beta

Post by JonAbbott »

This hopefully fixes game speed and music speed issues on Terramex and Pac-mania, possibly other games as well.

NOTE: You must ensure fake_vsync_isr=1 is uncommented in your config.txt file on the Pi. If you see a blank screen, try setting the monitor to Auto. Also ensure the ARM is configured as ARMv5

Changes since 2.28
  • Frame pacing code moved from OS_Byte 113 to OS_Byte 19 to support games that don't swap frames
  • Now generates it's own 50Hz VSync on all hardware and OS versions

Known issues
  • Doesn't support the protection used by Chequered Flag (non-RO3 version), Fine Racer and KerBang! (they talk directly to the FDC via IOC)
  • Shelling out of the desktop (Ctrl-Shift-F12 twice) hangs if an HD floppy is mounted on RO3.5+
  • adfs:format doesn't work whilst ADFFS is loaded
  • Although Caverns runs fine under VIDC translation on the A7000, on a RPC the scrolling is broken; with no VRAM, its completely broken. There's also an issue with the ship only appearing on the bottom half of the screen, although this is resolved with the boot script included with ADFFS.
  • Will not work on a RISC OS 3.1x machine with more than 13mb allocated to application space. To workaround increase another area until Applications (free) is below 13mb and ensure it never goes above it whilst ADFFS is loaded
  • Due to ongoing development in RISC OS, it will not work on alpha builds past 18-12-13. This will be resolved once the issues in RISC OS have been corrected and ADFFS updated to reflect the changes
  • Does not currently support RO5.x on IOMD fully, the video display may not appear or it may crash
  • RO4/SA some games don't display (eg Zarch)
  • No 26-bit module support
  • Currently requires at least 30mb of free memory to work on a StrongARM machine
  • Does not work on OMAP3/4
  • Some games can't currently be slowed down on RO5, Pac-mania for example. RO4 and below don't have this restriction
  • Frame pacing can cause some games to hang (fixed in the next beta)
  • The IOC version of ADFFS wasn't updated in this release (will be in the next beta)
  • Games that frame swap on event 4 currently flicker (James Pond)

Released games that are compatible with this on StrongARM/Pi
Pac-mania

NOTE: The "Boot floppy" script has been updated for Pac-mania, so ensure you have !SparkFS or similar loaded to enable frame pacing.

Unreleased games that are known to be StrongARM/Pi compatible
Conqueror
Jet Fighter
Terramex
Zarch

If you've contributed one of the unreleased titles and have the JFD floppy image, it should work provided you have !SparkFS or similar loaded. Alternatively, extract the relevant Obey file from !ADFFS.obey and launch manually.
Attachments
adffs229b.zip
(463.89 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
grannyg

Re: ADFFS 2.29 beta

Post by grannyg »

That's fixed it. Jefighter, Pacmania, Terramex and Zarch are all working fine on the Raspberry Pi.

If you could just get Elite, Xenon 2, Holed Out, E-Type, Nevryon, Magic Pockets, Swiv, Sensible Socccer and Conqueror working that would be great. :-)

Thanks.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

grannyg wrote:That's fixed it. Jefighter, Pacmania, Terramex and Zarch are all working fine on the Raspberry Pi.
Great, now we're getting somewhere.
grannyg wrote:If you could just get Elite, Xenon 2, Holed Out, E-Type, Nevryon, Magic Pockets, Swiv, Sensible Socccer and Conqueror working that would be great. :-)
Magic Pockets and James Pond are the next two I'm going to test and get working. Conqueror may already work, it just needs the Boot script updating.
SWIV, Xenon 2 and Sensible Soccer are titles we can release so I'll look at them as well.

I think the rest need 26bit Modules support, which I've yet to look at.
grannyg

Post by grannyg »

Conqueror almost worked. The demo plays ok but aborts on trying to start a game.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

I'll debug it later, as it should work. I suspect there's an obscure error with one of the JIT reinterpreted instructions as several games aren't working that I'd expect to work by now.
Ginger1

Post by Ginger1 »

Thank you for this ongoing very exciting work for all Pi owners!

Struggling to get Pacmania working. This is what i've done:
1) Downloaded and installed ADFFS 2.29 and extracted the Pacmania disk image.
2) Changed filetype of the disk image to floppy.
3) Checked that I have one floppy drive enabled under configure and that the vsync command isn't commented out in config.txt
4) I've tried *adfmount filename but I get a data abort (I think the same thing happens if I just double click on it).
5) If I try to "Boot Floppy" in ADFFS, I get a Filecore In Use error.

I've tried to RTFM, but am a bit stuck now.

In other news, RISC OS on the Pi has quickly become my main machine - latest Easiwriter is terrific and with an occassional VNCing into another machine for web browsing (Netsurf has become very able so this rare), it really is a fast, stable and fun to use platform!
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Ginger1 wrote:Struggling to get Pacmania working
1. Launch !ADFFS
2. Launch the floppy to mount it
3. "Boot floppy" from the ADFFS Filer menu

If you're still having problems, check in the RO Configuration that it's set for ARMv5. I've not tested beyond that.
Ginger1

Post by Ginger1 »

Thank you for your reply.

When I get to point 2, I get an "Application May Have Gone Wrong" error, and when I click on describe, it says "Abort on Data Transfer at &FC201668".

I've tried re-downloading both ADFFS and the Pacmania archive, to no avail. Also, have checked it is set to ARM v 5.

Just to investigate, I tried another disk image (Jahangir Khan's squash) which ADFFS does accept and I can then reboot using Boot Floppy.

Perhaps something is wrong with the Pacmania archive?
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

Pacmania working here on my Rpi. ROM version is BETA Rpi RC-11 (2013-07-08).
However, it has a LOT of tearing. No smooth scroll as expected. My monitors DO support 50Hz modes (I use Minimig on them).
Isn't there no way around this tearing? Smooth scroll was one of the main computer (Archie, Amiga, etc) trademarks in the 90's.

On the other hand, Zarch doesn't work at all: I mount the disk, then click on the Zarch icon and I get "Error on data transfer". Maybe I need a Zarch image with "!boot" on it?
Last edited by Vanfanel on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginger1

Post by Ginger1 »

That might be my issue - i'm using the 5.19 stable. Haven't been able to face upgrading yet as have quite a bit of data on the SD card....