ADFFS 2.28 beta

Discuss ADFFS development and download test releases
JonAbbott

ADFFS 2.28 beta

Post by JonAbbott »

Major update, adding StrongARM and ARM11 compatibility to get games running on the Pi. It may also work on X-Scale but is untested.

NOTE: You must ensure fake_vsync_isr=1 is uncommented in your config.txt file on the Pi

Changes since 2.20
  • QTMModule updated to 2.45 (adds support for Chuck Rock)
  • MusMod2 updated to 1.00 (adds support for Chuck Rock)
  • AutoVIDC updated to 2.11
  • ARM3 JIT added for StrongARM and RO5 compatibility
  • RO5 support for 1, 2, 4bpp MODES added (see known issues below)
  • RO5 MEMC emulation added
  • RO5 IOC emulation partially added
  • ADFFS split into three versions: IOC, IOMD and 32bit

Known issues
  • Doesn't support the protection used by Chequered Flag (non-RO3 version), Fine Racer and KerBang! (they talk directly to the FDC via IOC)
  • Shelling out of the desktop (Ctrl-Shift-F12 twice) hangs if an HD floppy is mounted on RO3.5+
  • adfs:format doesn't work whilst ADFFS is loaded
  • Although Caverns runs fine under VIDC translation on the A7000, on a RPC the scrolling is broken; with no VRAM, its completely broken. There's also an issue with the ship only appearing on the bottom half of the screen, although this is resolved with the boot script included with ADFFS.
  • Will not work on a RISC OS 3.1x machine with more than 13mb allocated to application space. To workaround increase another area until Applications (free) is below 13mb and ensure it never goes above it whilst ADFFS is loaded
  • Due to ongoing development in RISC OS, it will not work on alpha builds past 18-12-13. This will be resolved once the issues in RISC OS have been corrected and ADFFS updated to reflect the changes
  • Does not currently support RO5.x on IOMD fully, the video display may not appear or it may crash
  • RO4/SA some games don't display (eg Zarch)
  • No 26-bit module support
  • Currently requires 64mb of RAM to work on a StrongARM machine
  • Does not work on OMAP3/4
  • Some games may run faster than normal

Released games that are compatible with this on StrongARM/Pi
Pac-mania

Unreleased games that are known to be StrongARM/Pi compatible
Jet Fighter
Terramex
Zarch

If you've contributed one of the unreleased titles and have the JFD floppy image, it should work provided you have !SparkFS or similar loaded. Alternatively, extract the relevant Obey file from !ADFFS.obey and launch manually.
Attachments
adffs228b.zip
(462 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
grannyg

Re: ADFFS 2.28 beta

Post by grannyg »

I managed to get Pacmania running on the RPi. I had to add an MDF entry for the screen mode it uses otherwise I got 6 copies of the screen at once.
The music seems to not be playing all the sound channels. The sound effects work ok though.

I also tried it on a Risc PC SA with RISC OS 5.20 roms. The startup screen appears but crashes as soon as a game or demo is started.

On OMAP4 I just ended up with a blank screen and lots of aborts on returning to the desktop.

I tried the copy of Terramex I have. This ran for a short while on the RPi and Pandaboard before giving an abort. The were two copies of the screen side by side and the wrong colour. I'm not sure if I have the correct MDF entry for this. There was no sound on the Pandaboard. Sound and music was ok the RPi.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

grannyg wrote:I managed to get Pacmania running on the RPi. I had to add an MDF entry for the screen mode it uses otherwise I got 6 copies of the screen at once.
The music seems to not be playing all the sound channels. The sound effects work ok though.
It doesn't sound like its running under the JIT as that fixes the sound and does away with the need for an MDF (assuming MODE 13 normally works on your monitor), did you run it via "Boot floppy". I've just double checked this release of ADFFS and the Pac-mania release on a fresh install of RO5.21 dated 04-12-13 and confirmed it does work okay.

Can you try manually running !ADFFS.obey.F1050701 with the Pac-mania JFD mounted and see if it does the same thing.
grannyg wrote:I also tried it on a Risc PC SA with RISC OS 5.20 roms. The startup screen appears but crashes as soon as a game or demo is started.
RO5 on IOMD isn't currently supported.
grannyg wrote:On OMAP4 I just ended up with a blank screen and lots of aborts on returning to the desktop.
Sounds like I need an OMAP4 to debug it then, I suspect it's caused by the fact there's currently no way to convert the IO address of the screen to a physical address. I botched it for the Pi and hoped it would work on OMAP4.
grannyg wrote:I tried the copy of Terramex I have. This ran for a short while on the RPi and Pandaboard before giving an abort. The were two copies of the screen side by side and the wrong colour. I'm not sure if I have the correct MDF entry for this. There was no sound on the Pandaboard. Sound and music was ok the RPi.
It's not running under the JIT by the sound of it, I'll get a formal released of Terramex made available soon for you to try. Again, with the floppy mounted, try running !ADFFS.Obey.F1036601 - this will only work if it's an original release of Terramex though, the one without a !Terramex folder, which was a later release.

With regard to the Pandaboard, I don't think there will be any sound as I believe it needs a shim to work due to the differences in the sound system. Sounds like I should forget OMAP support and concentrate on the Pi, which was the original goal anyhow. Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.
grannyg

Post by grannyg »

I've changed the obey files so it's hardcoded for RISC OS 5 and arm3jit.

I've now got zarch, terramex and pacmania running on the RPi. I had to change the monitor type in configure to 'Auto' to get the correct screen modes.
The sound in Terramex and Pacmania seems to be playing too fast. Pacmania music is still missing bits or channels out. Also the games themselves are running way too fast.

Zarch seems ok speed and sound wise.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

grannyg wrote:I had to change the monitor type in configure to 'Auto' to get the correct screen modes.
You've reminded me, Jeffrey mentioned something about forcing a reload of the MDF when RO takes over, I'll check back and see if that's causing the problem. I've never managed to get RO on the Pi to save the monitor settings, it loses them on reboot...sure I had it working prior to 5.20 though.
grannyg wrote:The sound in Terramex and Pacmania seems to be playing too fast. Pacmania music is still missing bits or channels out. Also the games themselves are running way too fast.
eMail your ROM and the Pi config file, so I can see if its relevant: jon at jaspp dot org dot uk

You may need to add the fake VSync into the Pi config, I forgot to check if it was required before I posted this up. If I can repro with your setup, we'll be able to pin the issue down.