ADFFS future feature testing

Discuss development specific to the Pi version of ADFFS
JonAbbott

Re: ADFFS future feature testing

Post by JonAbbott »

JonAbbott wrote:
andretim wrote:Played a little with Bambuzzle on 2.60RC1, the game freezes when time is out.
Must be a regression as this was working, I'll roll back the code and figure out what the root cause is tomorrow.
I've not been able to reproduce this, so see if still occurs with the latest Modules.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated obey.zip and Modules on the dev site, which get Frak! working.

Screen memory is no longer remapped to the RO3 DA2 area when emulating RO3.5 or above. Games affect by this change are:
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Bubble Impact
  • Dune II - Battle for Arrakis [CD version]
  • Enter The Realm [SA version]
  • Fire & Ice
  • James Pond II+ Robocod
  • Lemmings 2: The Tribes
I've quickly tested them and they all appear to still work. I was hoping it would also resolve the flickering in Bubble Impact, sadly it doesn't.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated obey.zip and Modules on the dev site, which get The Olympics working. It does have some graphics issues when it hardware scrolls though.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Updated Modules on the dev site, which are a pre-req to getting Interdictor (possibly Interdictor II and WolfPack as well) and Enthar Seven working. I've had to make changes to the CallBack handler and OS_Release, but haven't had a chance to sort out the floppy images for them, or scan the protection for Interdictor / Interdictor II.

CallBack's affect most C based games such as Alone in the Dark, Empire Soccer '94 and Populous. I've quickly tested Alone in the Dark, which appeared to be unaffected.

The OS_Release change will affect pretty much all titles, but shouldn't hopefully cause any issues - it now returns an error if a release fails, where previously it failed silent. There were a few games that tried to release vectors they hadn't claimed, but I don't recall which (possibly the Paradise titles), provided they don't check for errors they should remain unaffected.
andretim

Post by andretim »

JonAbbott wrote:
JonAbbott wrote:
andretim wrote:Played a little with Bambuzzle on 2.60RC1, the game freezes when time is out.
Must be a regression as this was working, I'll roll back the code and figure out what the root cause is tomorrow.
I've not been able to reproduce this, so see if still occurs with the latest Modules.
Fixed now. Note that I must open the ADF file so that it can setup some variables otherwise if I drop the ADF directly on ADFFS and boot it I get a "File name '.Sprites.Cages' not recognised" error.
andretim

Post by andretim »

JonAbbott wrote:Updated obey.zip and Modules on the dev site, which get Frak! working.

Screen memory is no longer remapped to the RO3 DA2 area when emulating RO3.5 or above. Games affect by this change are:
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Bubble Impact
  • Dune II - Battle for Arrakis [CD version]
  • Enter The Realm [SA version]
  • Fire & Ice
  • James Pond II+ Robocod
  • Lemmings 2: The Tribes
I've quickly tested them and they all appear to still work. I was hoping it would also resolve the flickering in Bubble Impact, sadly it doesn't.
Now for the first time Dune II works properly instead of giving me some kind of blue screen of death.
andretim

Post by andretim »

JonAbbott wrote:
andretim wrote:"Birds of War" - Start the game, on request of disc 'BOWSound' Ctrl+Shift+2 (I didn't know if it was the correct one) the press space. => Filecore in use.
Update the Modules to the latest build, as I fixed the FileCore issue yesterday. You'll probably want to install this one to HD once you've confirmed it is fixed, as it disc swaps quite a lot.
Instead of crashing it now shows an hourglass and freezes.

I have also installed a version on HD using the instructions in the Obey file, but I get stuck error box asking me for the BirdsOfWar disk unless I manually open the F1004201 ADF first.
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

andretim wrote:I must open the ADF file so that it can setup some variables otherwise if I drop the ADF directly on ADFFS and boot it I get a "File name '.Sprites.Cages' not recognised" error.
Fixed with today's obey.zip
andretim wrote:Instead of crashing it now shows an hourglass and freezes.
Birds of War seems to be having some issues with disk swapping and is causing FileCore to crash.
andretim wrote:I have also installed a version on HD using the instructions in the Obey file, but I get stuck error box asking me for the BirdsOfWar disk unless I manually open the F1004201 ADF first.
Check you've named the disk 1 image correctly, the first thing the script does is mount the disk 1 floppy image as !BirdOfWar.F1004201
Vanfanel

Post by Vanfanel »

@Jon: Smooth-scrolling games like Pacmania, text in Fireball II, etc... are not smooth anymore (I am on 50Hz video as you know). Scroll has became jerky.

However, Dune II works again! No more blue-screen-of-death anymore, as andretim has said :)
JonAbbott

Post by JonAbbott »

Vanfanel wrote:@Jon: Smooth-scrolling games like Pacmania, text in Fireball II, etc... are not smooth anymore (I am on 50Hz video as you know). Scroll has became jerky.
Interesting...I've not touched any of that code. Is RC1 okay?

I've tried to reproduce this, but am not seeing the problem. Watching Pac-mania in debug mode, it's a static 50fps and never drops a frame. I've put the latest debug Modules up, if you want to try running it under them to see if it drops any frames - the fps figure will drop below 50fps if it drops a frame.
Vanfanel wrote:However, Dune II works again! No more blue-screen-of-death anymore, as andretim has said :)
Also interesting, possibly CallBacks at fault then.